CA Proposition 45

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
As I’m not in California, I haven’t heard much about Proposition 45 until now.

For others not familiar it would allow the state insurance commissioner to regulate premium rates for certain medical plans – those covering individuals and companies with fewer than 50 employees. The commish has been approving home and auto rates in CA since 1988, but has no say on rising health insurance premiums (He’s likely been spending that extra time looking to take down annuity agents).

Four big insurers have raised more than $56 million to oppose it, and the advertising blitz is apparently making this a close one. An op-ed from Proposition 45 author Jamie Court on Huffington Post today (link below) likens big health insurance execs to Robber Barons.

California health insurance pros, what will or should happen with 45?

B.S. Alert: Health Insurance Robber Barons Spend $56 Million vs. Prop 45's Rate Regulation in California Without a Single Public Comment*|*Jamie Court

Pass the law, and instead of having 4 companies controlling 84%, you'll have 1 controlling 100%. Blue or a single payor. Several companies vacated last year already.

The state of Connecticut has a law like this. I just ran a Value Penguin quote for Fairfield, CT. There are only 2 health insurance carriers available...Anthem and ConnectiCare. Silver Premium for a 27 Year Old is a whopping $313.89 per month!

If the majority of voters in California are too dumb to do a little investigating, and end up voting Proposition 45 into law, they'll get exactly what they deserve.
ac

This has already been passed and signed into Law....its called the MLR of the PPACA.

What are these guys smoking out there??

This has already been passed and signed into Law....its called the MLR of the PPACA.

What are these guys smoking out there??

They pass this Prop45 and then the Nan-C-Peelozi and Diane Frankenstein types out there get mad and open investigations because the MLR refunds stop.

I have relatives that moved to CA (SDiego/SFrancisco) years ago and love it out there, despite the taxes, congestion, cost of living, earthquakes, etc.. For me, visiting is enough.

For Arizonans, the People's Republic of Kalifornia is a place we visit to play - Disneyland, Beaches, comfortable weather... But none of us wants to do business there!

Back