Cali Says No to Obama

scagnt83

Worldwide Expert of Everything
5000 Post Club
Old outpace young in California Obamacare numbers

"The board of California's health insurance exchange, Covered California, on Thursday decided not to allow insurance plans that do not meet Obamacare standards to continue operating in that state, according to their twitter account.
#CoveredCA board decides to not allow people to stay in non-compliant health insurance plans.
5:07 PM - 21 Nov 2013

The move effectively rejects the fix President Barack Obama proposed to salve the deeply troubled rollout of the Affordable Care Act.

That state already faces an age-old health insurance challenge: The old folks are outrunning the kids in the race to sign up for California's insurance. If the trend continues, it might lead to higher premiums down the line."

Last edited:
Old outpace young in California Obamacare numbers

"The board of California's health insurance exchange, Covered California, on Thursday decided not to allow insurance plans that do not meet Obamacare standards to continue operating in that state, according to their twitter account.
#CoveredCA board decides to not allow people to stay in non-compliant health insurance plans.
5:07 PM - 21 Nov 2013

The move effectively rejects the fix President Barack Obama proposed to salve the deeply troubled rollout of the Affordable Care Act.

That state already faces an age-old health insurance challenge: The old folks are outrunning the kids in the race to sign up for California's insurance. If the trend continues, it might lead to higher premiums down the line."

Awesome thanks for the information!

Awesome thanks for the information!

No problem. Notice how the state Insurance Commissioner let the CA Exchange Board make the call instead of stepping up to the plate himself!

After he saw what happened in DC he knew better than to speak the truth... it might get you fired.

No problem. Notice how the state Insurance Commissioner let the CA Exchange Board make the call instead of stepping up to the plate himself!

After he saw what happened in DC he knew better than to speak the truth... it might get you fired.

It's an elected position and he's a commie.

Rick

It's not official until Rick confirms it. Until then, this is just the rumour mill

Confirmed. Glad he decided it was "Obama and me." What a commie!

FOR IMMEDIATERELEASE:
November 21,2013 (#100)

MEDIA STATEMENT

InsuranceCommissioner Jones calls Covered California’s extension denial
a disservice to policyholders

AllowingCalifornians to keep their health insurance through 2014 won’t
undermine implementation of the ACA

SACRAMENTO,Calif. –InsuranceCommissioner Dave Jones issued the following statement in response to CoveredCalifornia’s decision to deny health insurers the ability to renew existingpolicies:

“Over a millionCalifornians have received cancellation notices from their health insurer. Onbehalf of these policyholders I am disappointed in Covered California’s action,which denies individuals and families the opportunity to keep their existinghealth insurance as President Obama promised.

“Covered California rejected what President Obama and I asked for—thatindividual policyholders be allowed to keep their existing health insurancethrough all of 2014. Covered California’s decision denies Californians the sameopportunity health insurers are giving to its small business customers who arebeing allowed to renew current policies throughout 2014.

“CoveredCalifornia could have honored President Obama’s request, without causing damageto the implementation of the Affordable Care Act or the Exchange.

“The preferred andmore equitable course of action for California consumers is for CoveredCalifornia’s unnecessary cancellation to be rescinded. Allowing existingpolicyholders to keep their health insurance for the duration of 2014 will notundermine the implementation of the ACA, but rather will give consumers moretime to figure out what makes sense for their families.”

Commissioner Joneshas been a staunch supporter of the ACA since its passage and throughout itsimplementation. Last week President Obama called on states and insurers toallow existing policyholders the option to renew their plans for an additionalyear. Commissioner Jones expressed his support of the President’s request andasked that Covered California rescind its contractual provision with 11insurers, which impeded their ability to honor the President’s request.

As the state’sinsurance market regulator, Jones has made it clear that neither state norfederal law, including the ACA, requires December 31 cancellations. More than 1million Californians are receiving cancellation notices from insurers, who areupset because they were told by the President if they liked their healthinsurance, they could keep it. Jones pointed out that all existing policies arenot “junk insurance.” California has strong coverage mandates, as demonstratedby the many policyholders who want to keep their existing policies and doctors.Jones noted that it is disingenuous for health insurers to argue that allowingrenewals will harm the exchange, because cancellation notices being sent topolicyholders are steering them into insurance products outside the Exchange,which deprives the policyholder of the federal premium subsidy.

Jones alsostressed that allowing existing policyholders to renew for a full year will notundermine the risk pool, as the ACA has robust features which mitigate the riskof health insurers having a disproportionate share of sick people in their riskpool in 2014. Additionally, it is estimated that 400,000 existing policyholdersare eligible for subsidies. Even if allowed to renew their current coverage,many consumers will purchase new insurance through the Exchange because of thesubsidy. For all of these reasons, the Insurance Commissioner concluded thatallowing renewals would not hurt the Affordable Care Act or the Exchange, butshould be allowed to make good on the promise to policyholders.

That state already faces an age-old health insurance challenge: The old folks are outrunning the kids in the race to sign up for California's insurance. If the trend continues, it might lead to higher premiums down the line."[/I]

MIGHT? ...............is that the understatement of the year?

----------

Confirmed. Glad he decided it was "Obama and me." What a commie!

FOR IMMEDIATERELEASE:
November 21,2013 (#100)

MEDIA STATEMENT

InsuranceCommissioner Jones calls Covered California’s extension denial
a disservice to policyholders

AllowingCalifornians to keep their health insurance through 2014 won’t
undermine implementation of the ACA

SACRAMENTO,Calif. –InsuranceCommissioner Dave Jones issued the following statement in response to CoveredCalifornia’s decision to deny health insurers the ability to renew existingpolicies:

“Over a millionCalifornians have received cancellation notices from their health insurer. Onbehalf of these policyholders I am disappointed in Covered California’s action,which denies individuals and families the opportunity to keep their existinghealth insurance as President Obama promised.

“Covered California rejected what President Obama and I asked for—thatindividual policyholders be allowed to keep their existing health insurancethrough all of 2014. Covered California’s decision denies Californians the sameopportunity health insurers are giving to its small business customers who arebeing allowed to renew current policies throughout 2014.

“CoveredCalifornia could have honored President Obama’s request, without causing damageto the implementation of the Affordable Care Act or the Exchange.

“The preferred andmore equitable course of action for California consumers is for CoveredCalifornia’s unnecessary cancellation to be rescinded. Allowing existingpolicyholders to keep their health insurance for the duration of 2014 will notundermine the implementation of the ACA, but rather will give consumers moretime to figure out what makes sense for their families.”

Commissioner Joneshas been a staunch supporter of the ACA since its passage and throughout itsimplementation. Last week President Obama called on states and insurers toallow existing policyholders the option to renew their plans for an additionalyear. Commissioner Jones expressed his support of the President’s request andasked that Covered California rescind its contractual provision with 11insurers, which impeded their ability to honor the President’s request.

As the state’sinsurance market regulator, Jones has made it clear that neither state norfederal law, including the ACA, requires December 31 cancellations. More than 1million Californians are receiving cancellation notices from insurers, who areupset because they were told by the President if they liked their healthinsurance, they could keep it. Jones pointed out that all existing policies arenot “junk insurance.” California has strong coverage mandates, as demonstratedby the many policyholders who want to keep their existing policies and doctors.Jones noted that it is disingenuous for health insurers to argue that allowingrenewals will harm the exchange, because cancellation notices being sent topolicyholders are steering them into insurance products outside the Exchange,which deprives the policyholder of the federal premium subsidy.

Jones alsostressed that allowing existing policyholders to renew for a full year will notundermine the risk pool, as the ACA has robust features which mitigate the riskof health insurers having a disproportionate share of sick people in their riskpool in 2014. Additionally, it is estimated that 400,000 existing policyholdersare eligible for subsidies. Even if allowed to renew their current coverage,many consumers will purchase new insurance through the Exchange because of thesubsidy. For all of these reasons, the Insurance Commissioner concluded thatallowing renewals would not hurt the Affordable Care Act or the Exchange, butshould be allowed to make good on the promise to policyholders.

Typical politician, let me get my name out there via Press release but do nothing more.

From what I understand, the CoveredCA contract between the exchange and the carriers stipulated that all NGF plans terminate 12/31/13, so DJ had to leave it up to CoveredCA.

From what I understand, the CoveredCA contract between the exchange and the carriers stipulated that all NGF plans terminate 12/31/13, so DJ had to leave it up to CoveredCA.

DJ pushed them, Peter Lee pushed back, Peter Lee won. I understand there has been growing tension between Covered CA and the Insurance Commish. Don't blame me, I voted for that Bronstein guy :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back