Can People Start Going to the Dr. Even if They Have Not Received Their Member ID Cards?

cynthia

Can people start going to the Dr. even if they have not received their member ID cards?

I have clients who are calling me because they have not received their member ID cards but they want to start going to the Dr. after Jan 1st. I am trying to call Blue Shield but have been on hold for almost 3 hours.

Covered CA said people can have coverage by the 1st of Jan if the application was submitted by the deadline. So if people pay their premiums can they go to the Dr. even if they have not received their member ID cards?

Coverage is coverage. They may be treated as a cash paying patient by the Dr, and then have to submit a claim to insurance company for reimbursement.

People can even go to the doctor without insurance if the doctor allows. But given the clusterf*ck this turned out to be if I was a doctor I'd require cash up front.

If you clients have paid for coverage then they should have a card shortly. But most haven't paid so why would they get an ID card.

Rick

Most of my clients' doctors are telling them they need their new ID number before they can come to their scheduled January appointments. With Blue Shield we don't have the new ID numbers yet for everyone and the hold time is well over 1 hour now.

This tidbit from Anthem is really too funny

New Anthem Blue Cross members who have applied through Covered CA will be receiving a letter with the following option to pay their premium by the 10th of January.

*PLEASE DO NOT HAVE YOUR MEMBERS GO TO URL LINK BELOW UNTIL AFTER THEY RECEIVE THEIR LETTER WITH THEIR APPLICATION ID #

So they have to pay their Anthem premium to get their new ID number but can't pay the Anthem premium until they get the "Application ID #" which then allows them to pay the premium and finally get the ID number.

For $18 or 4%, really? :nah:

I just had a client tell me blue said she could go to the doc on the first it will be covered even if the first payment hasn't been made, gave her the member number and group id #. Get this..... she said they have until Jan 31 to make the first payment!

See my avatar.:D

I just had a client tell me blue said she could go to the doc on the first it will be covered even if the first payment hasn't been made, gave her the member number and group id #. Get this..... she said they have until Jan 31 to make the first payment!
See my avatar.:D

Your Blue sister here in IL is saying the same thing regarding giving applicants until 01/31/2014 to make their January 1st premium payment.

In addition, this info was sent to us via e-mail on Friday 12/27/13:

BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD OF ILLINOIS (News for Producers)
"Temporary Eligibility Verification Process in Place for New Members Without ID Cards
Some new members with coverage beginning Jan. 1 may not receive their member ID card before Jan. 1 due to the high volume of new members being processed at the end of the month. Providers will be notified next week about the temporary eligibility verification measures in place to assist them in verifying patient eligibility.

Providers will need the following information to contact BCBS to verify membership and eligibility for services:
  • Subscriber name
  • Patient name
  • Patient date of birth
  • Patient mailing address
  • Last 4 digits of the patient SSN
  • Effective date of coverage
As with any other member, eligibility and benefits may vary depending on the coverage purchased by the member, and it is important for providers to check for eligibility and benefits each time they see a patient."

----snip-----

Our AZ blue is doing the same thing. They are issuing the ID number, and sending a bill for the initial premium. The client has the regular 30 day grace period in which to pay it. Meanwhile, they will verify benefits with providers in the normal fashion. This is all OFF exchange, of course. I've advised my clients to pay early anyway, and keep out of the trouble that is bound to come.

Back