Canceling Plan on HS

We have resorted to calling the FFM with the client, stating the facts, and letting the FFM make the cancellation effective. Like Ann, we have done it exactly the same way for clients and ended up with a different result. My goal by calling the FFM is taking the liability off of me. I had one client who had their coverage cancelled the day we changed the application on the account, did exactly what we always do, now we have a lady without coverage for two weeks due to "our actions". What if claims happen?

This way, the FFM is the one f'ing it up in light of giving them the correct information and stating our goals. Liability removed and placed on the FFM.

Called the CYA method.

If two people are on exchange policy, and one is going on medicare, you must do it on the last day of the month (prior to medicare effective date), and you must do it as a Life Change, and to create an SEP for remaining spouse, you must put down loss of coverage as of that last day of the month, to get a first of the month effective date.

QUOTE]

So I have a couple on a policy together. The wife is going on Medicare for 12/1/15. She will have to call into hcare.gov on Nov 30th? But the spouse has to do an SEP to remain on his current policy for the month of December? I have already signed him up for his 2016 plan starting Jan 1.

yagents (I am asking because I am not sure), wouldn't you only have to call in the day before if the person who is going on Medicare is the primary on the account? Is it possible to make the younger spouse the primary and then not have to call the day before, you just process it two weeks earlier to cancel just the older dependent at the end of the month? Is it possible to do it that way?

Is it just some sort of glitch with 2-person households? Because I have termed single households where the primary is going on medicare and they did not term same day, they had the two week thing. That is weird.

Yes, it's a glitch for a 2 person app. (similar to the glitch that makes this same couple lose/lower APTC amounts). This whole fricken law is a glitch.

Back