Canceling Plan on HS

saintstigers

Guru
100+ Post Club
Louisiana
Have a client who has group coverage starting Dec 1. When canceling an exchange plan via health sherpa, can you select the date you want coverage to end or do you need to call into hcare.gov?

As far as I know, there is no way to select a date in the future for cancelling coverage. HC.gov always cancelled the next day. I called HC.gov 4 times and got 4 different answers in the same situation. Finally just canceled the plan the day before client went on medicare.

Ditto. I had cases that were supposed to cancel at the end of a month, but hc.gov cancelled them the day after the request, whether it was online or via phone call.

So, to be sure, cancel it the last day of a month.

You can access the account through hc.gov or through a WBE's "back door" and cancel it online (assuming the system is up and running, hahaha). Or, you can call the marketplace if you just feel like being frustrated for 45 minutes.

I have been told so many times that if the whole policy is being cancelled that HC.gov "can't" cancel less than 14 days ahead of the request date.
I have entered the client account through the back door/web portal and it has seemed to restrict that request to minimum 14 days ahead.
If the policy has one person being dropped, on the other hand, the Marketplace says *do not call* to request the removal of the person until the exact day they are to be dropped. They say that they have to drop someone the same day they call, can't do a future drop request of one member from an ongoing policy.
Example, spouse qualifies for Medicare, must switch as of last day of month before Medicare eligible. example: drop 7/31, Medicare effective: 8/1
Other spouse keeps policy. It has had a few glitches with billing, effective date, etc. Tip, the remaining person must be classified as losing coverage on existing plan on the day the other person is dropped, so their effective date for ongoing coverage is the next day, not the month after. I know, we had this issue last summer, took 6 weeks to get cleared up.
So, if more than one staying on plan, then all staying on would need to be classified as "losing coverage" the day the family member is removed.
This is a work around that kept date of coverage correct on the next client l who needed to have one insured drop off.
Every time we do a life change, it's essentially a new application.

Call the marketplace.

No No No

NO

NO

NO.

NO.

RULE #1-10, DONT CALL THE FFM.

Login to ffm thru broker account, search app. Under "My Plans and Programs" scroll to bottom of the page and terminate. Needs to be greater than 14 days from today and I believe lees than 60 days from today.

If cancellation needs to be tomorrow, need to creat an FFM account with user and do an updated app.

99.9% of the time if you are calling the FFM YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

If two people are on exchange policy, and one is going on medicare, you must do it on the last day of the month (prior to medicare effective date), and you must do it as a Life Change, and to create an SEP for remaining spouse, you must put down loss of coverage as of that last day of the month, to get a first of the month effective date.

If only 1 person or more are on the policy
, and they are moving to a group plan or other plan, (not medicare related), you must terminate the policy in advance, by more than 14 days, and this can be done via the back door to HC.gov. I think you can cancel up to 45 - 60 days in advance, but I always do it between 1st and 15th of the month to avoid "mistakes" by doing it too early.

If two people are on exchange policy, and one is going on medicare, you must do it on the last day of the month (prior to medicare effective date), and you must do it as a Life Change, and to create an SEP for remaining spouse, you must put down loss of coverage as of that last day of the month, to get a first of the month effective date. If only 1 person or more are on the policy, and they are moving to a group plan or other plan, (not medicare related), you must terminate the policy in advance, by more than 14 days, and this can be done via the back door to HC.gov. I think you can cancel up to 45 - 60 days in advance, but I always do it between 1st and 15th of the month to avoid "mistakes" by doing it too early.

So I have a couple on a policy together. The wife is going on Medicare for 12/1/15. She will have to call into hcare.gov on Nov 30th? But the spouse has to do an SEP to remain on his current policy for the month of December? I have already signed him up for his 2016 plan starting Jan 1.

Back