CareFirst BCBS Withdraws Bronze Plans?

dgoldenz

Virginia
Saw this article yesterday:

Health Insurers Struggle to Offset New Costs - WSJ

In Virginia, CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield’s proposed average increases are around 25%, though that number reflects the insurer’s decision to withdraw all of its lowest-premium plans, the so-called bronze tier that has the highest cost-sharing for participants, and the increase is around 11% for plans that have a similar level of benefits, the insurer said.

Interesting....I wonder if we'll see more of this. Sounds to me like they don't want the ultra-low premium subsidized plans because they are probably the highest level of claims.

Edit - here's my thoughts:

In 2014, silver plans had OOP max in $3-5k range, gold plans in $2-4k range. Now, almost all silver and gold plans have OOP max in $6k range, so high level claimants that are guaranteed to hit the OOP max every year are shifting to bronze plan to reduce premium. BCBS responds by withdrawing bronze plans.

Last edited:
Hold that thought though...

Silver qualifies for cost sharing reducing deductible and MOOP. Bronze leaves the consumer responsible for a 6,450 K deductible and MOOP.

Basically the consumer is individually responsible for $ 537.50 per month before the coverage pays anything out.

Or

For a family that qualifies between 100% and 138 % FPL monthly costs would be $ 1,075 + any remaining premium per month.

Why would the carrier want to eliminate reducing their claims costs by not offering a Bronze plan?

Hold that thought though...

Silver qualifies for cost sharing reducing deductible and MOOP. Bronze leaves the consumer responsible for a 6,450 K deductible and MOOP.

Basically the consumer is individually responsible for $ 537.50 per month before the coverage pays anything out.

Or

For a family that qualifies between 100% and 138 % FPL monthly costs would be $ 1,075 + any remaining premium per month.

Why would the carrier want to eliminate reducing their claims costs by not offering a Bronze plan?

I'm not referring to CSR plans, there are still plenty of people that qualify for $5/month plans without qualifying for CSR. Off-exchange people that are guaranteed to hit max OOP can do the math and figure out that bronze plan has lowest overall cost.

Absent help from a knowledgeable agent, do folks that order off the dollar menu really do calculations or just go for the plan with the lowest monthly premium?

I'm not referring to CSR plans, there are still plenty of people that qualify for $5/month plans without qualifying for CSR.

Sorry you lost me with the first response. If they are qualifying for a $ 5 per month plan then surely they qualify for the CSR...at least in the 20 or so states we work.

:err: Confused is all.

Sorry you lost me with the first response. If they are qualifying for a $ 5 per month plan then surely they qualify for the CSR...at least in the 20 or so states we work.

:err: Confused is all.

Depends on your age, family size, and income. I have clients paying $0 that didn't qualify for CSR, or they did and CSR was a big difference in price.

I agree with DGoldenz. I've seen clients figure out that a $6,850 out-of-pocket is the same on a Gold plan as a Bronze plan, if they are max utilizers anyway. I'll bet claims are very high.

Back