CBO Estimates if There is a Full Repeal

The GOP has been bitching about Obamacare from the beginning and to this day don't have a viable option. Our politicians are about as useful as bovine scatology.

If you want every one to pay something, abandon the income tax and replace with a consumption tax. Or use a combination.

The current regressive income tax system is beneficial to the low income moocher crowd.

Perhaps. However, econ 101 says you have to tax those who have money which is the middle class because there are so many of them. The poor don't spend much relative to the size of the economy. You can't tax the very wealthy because they write the laws.

Consumption taxes are very cyclical and again, the wealthy avoid them because savings are not taxed. I differentiate between "payroll tax" and "income tax". I expect that the people that crunched the numbers know what the cost of healthcare is as a percent of payroll. The carriers know the relative amount of claims for a given set of plan designs.

I was thinking a core plan that sets a cap on liability and doesn't necessarily have 1st dollar benefits the way Medicare does. There could be Medicaid or a plan with 1st dollar benefits for those with no money since they won't go to the doc unless things become dire. There is still the problem of trend which has run higher than any other sector of the economy for years and years.

Last edited:
<SNIP>

I was thinking a core plan that sets a cap on liability and doesn't necessarily have 1st dollar benefits the way Medicare does. There could be Medicaid or a plan with 1st dollar benefits for those with no money since they won't go to the doc unless things become dire. There is still the problem of trend which has run higher than any other sector of the economy for years and years.

But, droves will complain about even having to pay a $20 co-pay when they go get their birth control. <SIGH>

But, droves will complain about even having to pay a $20 co-pay when they go get their birth control. <SIGH>

Yes. So???

Alternatively, consider birth control similar to dental ins covering cleanings at 100%. Tier I is called "preventive" for a reason and is good incentive to buy coverage. It's less expensive for an individual to have coverage and use the preventive benefits than it is to pay for preventive out of pocket.

It is less expensive to provide birth control than to send a child to school or even pay for the birth. Routine delivery is what $7,000? At $20/month that's 350 months or 30 years of **** in. They'd have to start early to spend that much in birth control.

We'd better move on or at least back to topic. I don't trust "estimates" because they are always wrong even when made by people acting with integrity out of self-interest. Estimates are even worse when made by government officials who are trying to sell something. I remember my Grand Dad saying that "Social Security was only going to cost 1%" and that he thought it a good idea. He was in the 1st wave and had never contributed. Me thinks his view point was biased.

Last edited:
Back