Clinton to offer health care plan, only $110,000,000,000 a year

AP Interview: Clinton on health care - Yahoo! News

AP Interview: Clinton on health care

By BETH FOUHY, Associated Press Writer Tue Sep 18, 12:59 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton said Tuesday that a mandate requiring every American to purchase health insurance was the only way to achieve universal health care but she rejected the notion of punitive measures to force individuals into the health care system.

"At this point, we don't have anything punitive that we have proposed," the presidential candidate said in an interview with The Associated Press. "We're providing incentives and tax credits which we think will be very attractive to the vast majority of Americans."
She said she could envision a day when "you have to show proof to your employer that you're insured as a part of the job interview — like when your kid goes to school and has to show proof of vaccination," but said such details would be worked out through negotiations with Congress.
Clinton unveiled her health care plan Monday in Iowa, promising to bring coverage to every American by building on the current employer-based system and using tax credits to make insurance more affordable.
She told the AP she relished a debate over health care with her political opponents, including Republicans "who understood that we had to reform health care before they started running for president."
On Tuesday, Clinton began airing a 30-second ad statewide in Iowa and New Hampshire promoting her new health care plan. The ad reminds viewers of her failed effort to pass universal health care in the early 1990s, trying to portray a thwarted enterprise as one of vision.
"She changed our thinking when she introduced universal health care to America," the ad's announcer says.
The ad also highlights her support as senator for an expanded Children's Health Insurance Program and for more affordable vaccines.
Her health care plan would require every American to buy health insurance, offering tax credits and subsidies to help those who can't afford it. The mandatory aspect of her proposal, however, gets glossed over in the ad.
"Now she has a health care plan that lets you keep your coverage if you like it, provides affordable choices if you don't, and covers every American," the ad says.
The ad also continues her campaign's effort to appropriate the mantle of change away from rivals Barack Obama and John Edwards. The word change or its variations appears four times in the ad, which ends: "So, if you're ready for change, she's ready to lead."
Though her ads are airing in major markets in both states, they are appaearing with greater frequency in Iowa. Polls of voters in New Hampshire show her with a double digit lead over Obama and Edwards, but polls in Iowa show the three of them clustered together.

:nah:

Your perspective is likely quite far to the right if you find that amusing.

Actually, I found it pretty amusing as well, as does the majority of the population, based on most polls and her voting record. I really did figure you were trying to be humorous by calling her a centrist.

Your view would have to be pretty far left to find her anything but pretty far left. She is a good politician and can sound centrist, but she doesn't walk that walk at all.

According to most polling data, Guillani is seen as the centrist in the presidential lineup. This is what has him in trouble with the right.

Dan

:nah:

Your perspective is likely quite far to the right if you find that amusing.

As the previous poster suggested, if you find Hillary a Centrist you must be dinning with Move On and the like. Listen, Hillary is simply no good and I have nothing but distain for anyone dumb enough to fall for the Clinton Crap.

I would think Romney is the centrist candidate....

That might be true within those on the right, but overall, Romney is seen as a conservative by 41% and a moderate by 29% of the population. He is seen as the second most conservative person, beaten only by Fred Thompson, at 42%

Guilliani is seen as a moderate by 46% of the population, conservative by 30% and liberal by 12%.

Billary is moderate at 29%, liberal at 57%, and conservative at 8% (must be compared to Pelosi to be seen as conservative). She is seen as the most liberal of the democrats running for office, but not by much, Obama is at 51% and Edwards is 44%.

Keep in mind that we are in primary season. A politician has to move either left or right to win their parties nomination, then break all of those promises and move to center to win the presidential election. John Kerry and Al Gore both lost (supreme court aside) because they never moved back to center, at all, against Bush, who never entered right, left, or center.

Hillary has no problem with trying to shift her political perspective to win the election. She has learned a lot from Bill along these lines, and this makes her a formidable candidate to win the election, even though her negatives are at 50% (50% of the people say they will not vote for her regardless of who is running against her). She is also seen as the most polarizing figure of all the candidates, primarily because her negatives are so high.

To much politics, back to work....

I would think Romney is the centrist candidate....

That might be true within those on the right, but overall, Romney is seen as a conservative by 41% and a moderate by 29% of the population. He is seen as the second most conservative person, beaten only by Fred Thompson, at 42%

Guilliani is seen as a moderate by 46% of the population, conservative by 30% and liberal by 12%.

Billary is moderate at 29%, liberal at 57%, and conservative at 8% (must be compared to Pelosi to be seen as conservative). She is seen as the most liberal of the democrats running for office, but not by much, Obama is at 51% and Edwards is 44%.

Keep in mind that we are in primary season. A politician has to move either left or right to win their parties nomination, then break all of those promises and move to center to win the presidential election. John Kerry and Al Gore both lost (supreme court aside) because they never moved back to center, at all, against Bush, who never entered right, left, or center.

Hillary has no problem with trying to shift her political perspective to win the election. She has learned a lot from Bill along these lines, and this makes her a formidable candidate to win the election, even though her negatives are at 50% (50% of the people say they will not vote for her regardless of who is running against her). She is also seen as the most polarizing figure of all the candidates, primarily because her negatives are so high.

To much politics, back to work....

Dan

I think Hillary is far more of a centrist candidate than you all think. I would also calm down about the statement

"When I'm president, privatization is off the table because it's not the answer to anything."

That statement can be taken out of context. She could easliy mean the answer to anything on that particular topic. Try to maintain some objectivity SMAN. The Democrats are getting back in but it may not be as dangerous as you think. The biggest danger for us in Individual Health is the Guaranteed Issue factor.

Since I disagree with Hillary on many things and I voice my own opinion, I am not being objective? Give me a break. There is nothing about Hillary that isn't big government. She thinks government can do everything better than individuals and the free market.

As for her giving that answer to mean something, she sure did and I disclosed that in my original post.

Please tell me where I need to be more objective with Hillary. Have we not known about her for nearly two decades now? Do we not have enough of a track record to go on? She has one of the most liberal voting records in the Senate. If you think she's a centrist, she has accomplished exactly what she wants with you. She will say whatever that particular crowd wants to hear (as do many politicians on both sides of the aisle).

Nope, I think I've been objective enough with her. She's proven to me that she isn't who I want as president.

Hillary is the establishment candidate at this time for the Democrats.:nah:

Some of you have probably gorged on Fox and right wing talk radio for so long that anything left of Joe Lieberman seems far left. Rudy is center right. Hillary center left.

Her corporate backing is significant. Corporations don't support far left candidates. Wake up. As I said, try to remain objective and ween yourselves off Fox and right wing talk radio.

Edwards clearly has more liberal stances. He's running an all out economic populist campaign calling for all out systemic change circa Dennis Kucinich.

The voters are clueless if they think Hillary is more liberal than Edwards. Hillary grew up as a Republican.

Back