CMS 2016 Rules: Do You Speak Chinese?

Duaine

Guru
100+ Post Club
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Nov. 21 issued a massive 324-page notice of proposed rulemaking aimed at improving the consumer experience in the health insurance marketplace by increasing pricing and plan transparency and making information more accessible to consumers, among other changes.

Included in the proposed rulemaking are new requirements that some benefit insiders feel create unfair hurdles for brokers and agents, while clearing the road for navigators and assisters to enroll individuals and small businesses in the marketplaces.

Key among the controversial proposals is the requirement that all exchanges, qualified health plan insurers, and Web-based brokers and agents provide telephonic interpreter services in at least 150 languages. That requirement does not extend to navigators and assisters, although HHS is asking for public comment on whether it should.

“Requiring insurance agents and brokers to provide interpretation services for 150 languages would be an enormous financial burden and compromise our ability to serve our consumers,” says Health Agents for America Inc. President and CEO Ronnell Nolan, noting that agents and brokers already have extensive experience serving diverse communities.

“Forcing this mandate on agents and brokers, and not on navigators or assisters, would put us at a huge disadvantage at the very time that the administration is trying to meet ambitious enrollment goals,” she says.

In comments to a story running yesterday announcing the HHS proposed rulemaking, an EBA reader agrees, saying "It's very clear that the Obama Administration is set on driving brokers out of the business. How many web-based brokers are going to be able to provide translation services for 150 languages? Why on earth should we need that in the first place?"

HHS has indicated its willingness to consider delaying this requirement beyond 2016 and Nolan says she “would encourage them to do so in order to further study the need for, and potential unintended consequences of, such a mandate.”

The proposed rule also clarifies that all non-navigator assisters are required to maintain a physical presence in their service areas, but can provide assistance by telephone, Internet, or by other remote means.

Nolan questions the relevance of such a rule, saying, “Agents and brokers are state licensed and routinely serve the needs of clients who may be hundreds of miles from their home office. This is a solution in search of a problem, and like other provisions in the rule, would hamper the ability of agents and brokers to be a part of the solution to enrolling more Americans, which should be the goal of the administration, HHS and all stakeholders.”

“The continued unfair advantages given to federally funded navigators and assisters over agents and brokers needs to be called into question,” she adds.

Proposed ACA changes could offer navigators unfair advantage over brokers - Insurance Broadcasting

Isn't the intent of using navigators to reach into more diverse communities previously underserved such as the non-English speaking communities? Why then would this rule not be directed towards the navigators?

It's ridiculous. Isn't an agent a representative of the insurance company? If the company has met the requirements, why would individual agencies and brokers have to provide duplicative interpreter services anyway? Seems like a death knell for us . . . .

在宣布HHS法規制定提案的意見,以一個故事運行,昨天的EBA讀者對此表示贊同,他說:“這是非常清楚,奧巴馬政府設定的駕駛經紀的業務了。有多少基於Web的經紀人將能夠提供翻譯服務150種語言?為什麼在地球上,我們應該需要一個擺在首位? “

Zài xuānbù HHS fǎguī zhìdìng tí'àn de yìjiàn, yǐ yīgè gùshì yùnxíng, zuótiān de EBA dúzhě duì cǐ biǎoshì zàntóng, tā shuō:“Zhè shì fēicháng qīngchǔ, àobāmǎ zhèngfǔ shèdìng de jiàshǐ jīngjì de yèwùle. Yǒu duōshǎo jīyú Web de jīngjì rén jiāng nénggòu tígōng fānyì fúwù 150 zhǒng yǔyán? Wèishéme zài dìqiú shàng, wǒmen yīnggāi xūyào yīgè bǎi zài shǒuwèi? “

:skeptical:

In case you don't speak Chinese.

In comments to a story running yesterday announcing the HHS proposed rulemaking, an EBA reader agrees, saying "It's very clear that the Obama Administration is set on driving brokers out of the business. How many web-based brokers are going to be able to provide translation services for 150 languages? Why on earth should we need that in the first place?"

Good thing we already speak Chinese... Did about 3 apps today in Chinese - send them to my office. I agree with this requirement!

Good thing we already speak Chinese... Did about 3 apps today in Chinese - send them to my office. I agree with this requirement!

I know you're joking, all it takes is one customer speaking a language you can't handle (because, who knows Navajo?) to say something to the right agency and you'll be the next person they make an example of on national television.

I don't sell companies I don't trust, I don't sell Medicaid, I don't sell MedSupps, and I don't sell to anyone that doesn't speak English. Doing anything else would be a disservice to my clients and a recipe for disaster.

Back