CMS Confirms That Four States Have Been Granted ObamaCare Waivers

medx

Guru
100+ Post Club
Texas
An Obama administration official on Wednesday confirmed that four states -- including Florida, Tennessee and Ohio -- have been granted waivers from the regulatory requirements of the national health care law.
Steve Larsen, director of the Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight (CCIIO) at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, confirmed the news under questioning from Rep. Cliff Stearns at an oversight hearing for the House Energy and Commerce committee.
According to Larsen, the waivers have been granted to states that have programs allowing or requiring the kind of limited medical coverage plans that would otherwise be prohibited by ObamaCare. He said the waivers are good for one year and would not neccesarily apply to all plans in the states outside the state-based programs.
While he said there was also a fourth state that was granted a waiver, he could not recall off the top of his head which state.

The American Spectator : AmSpecBlog : CMS Official Confirms That Four States Have Been Granted ObamaCare Waivers

Re: CMS Confirms That Four States Have Been Granted ObamaCare Wai

Maybe I was just hearing things but didn't the POTUS say that people should not be going broke when they have insurance?

So in 4 states people can go broke but in the 53 others they cannot?

Rick

Maybe I was just hearing things but didn't the POTUS say that people should not be going broke when they have insurance?

So in 4 states people can go broke but in the 53 others they cannot?

Rick

Hey Rick its 4 states plus the 700+ companies given an exemption that can still offer limited benefit insurance....Personally I think if a company wants to offer a limited benefit plan and the employees are informed and have the option of outside coverage fine let them have it...But if their only options are limited benefit based on a waiver and overpriced obamacrap where is the choice.

It's interesting that they don't seem to know who the 4th state is. Maybe its the state of confusion?

Hey Rick its 4 states plus the 700+ companies given an exemption that can still offer limited benefit insurance....Personally I think if a company wants to offer a limited benefit plan and the employees are informed and have the option of outside coverage fine let them have it...But if their only options are limited benefit based on a waiver and overpriced obamacrap where is the choice.

I'm pretty sure I know what got an exemption for Tennessee. It was a state run extension of Medicaid. A limited benefit plan that employers and employees could participate in. State paid a third, employer paid a third, and employee paid a third. Basically, it helped people get some kind of insurance when otherwise they wouldn't have any, or they'd be receiving Medicaid. For many employers, even to offer this was a stretch for the budget.

Actually, what got the 3 states mentioned a waiver is their purple color. Maybe I'm being a bit cynical, but I think politics is at play here a bit.

Dan

South Carolina (Gov Nikki Haley) asked for a waiver. She's reviewing Fidel Obama's counter-offer right now.

I think Indiana and Kentucky are waiting to see what Mexico and Canada will offer us to just join them. We don't need no stinkin' Obamacare.

I think Indiana and Kentucky are waiting to see what Mexico and Canada will offer us to just join them. We don't need no stinkin' Obamacare.

What, semi-socialized medicine isn't good enough for you, you want the full blown deal?

Back