Democrats Urging HHS to Give a QLE for Pregnancy

Ann H

Guru
5000 Post Club
Arizona
House Democrats are urging HHS to allow year-round enrollment for pregnancy as a life event.

Democrats: Allow pregnant women to enroll in Obamacare | WashingtonExaminer.com

More than 50 House Democrats are asking the Obama administration to add pregnancy to the limited list of reasons women may enroll year-round in coverage on the Obamacare exchanges...

Nearly three dozen health advocacy groups, including the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists,also wrote to Burwell on Thursday asking for the change to be made. Young Invincibles says 50,000 people have signed a petition as well.

The 2010 healthcare law requires insurance plans to cover certain benefits, including maternity care. But without making pregnancy a qualifying reason to enroll year round, uninsured women without access to employer-sponsored coverage won't be able to access those benefits should they become pregnant, advocates say.​

Don't they understand Adverse Selection?

I saw this a week or so ago and thought someone had posted.

Ann, no they don't understand adverse selection just like they have no clue about the insurance business. If someone has no insurance now and only wants it when they may become pregnant they will surely drop after the fact. I don't know about other states but here in Fl when a woman become's pregnant she becomes eligible for Medicaid until a couple months after the baby is born and the baby is normally, not always, on Medicaid for the first year of life. If other states have similar circumstance's then there is no sense in this.

I saw this a week or so ago and thought someone had posted.

Ann, no they don't understand adverse selection just like they have no clue about the insurance business. If someone has no insurance now and only wants it when they may become pregnant they will surely drop after the fact. I don't know about other states but here in Fl when a woman become's pregnant she becomes eligible for Medicaid until a couple months after the baby is born and the baby is normally, not always, on Medicaid for the first year of life. If other states have similar circumstance's then there is no sense in this.

Someone might have posted this in another thread, and I didn't know it... Since OEP I've had a hard time keeping up with reading & posting to the forum!

Someone might have posted this in another thread, and I didn't know it... Since OEP I've had a hard time keeping up with reading & posting to the forum!

That's OK Ann because your news story is updated, and shows the momentum that's growing. The story I posted last week in the Uninsured Pregnant thread said that 15 Democrats had signed on. Now it's up to 50...along with several additional consumer advocate groups.

If it weren't for insurance company pushback, there's no doubt that HHS secretary Burwell would give pregnancy a SEP, in a baby's heartbeat. And she still might. We'll see who wins this tug-of-war contest.

I don't think they can even SPELL adverse selection.

Even Texas has "pregnancy Medicaid". And that was in place prior to ACA.

I think they should mandate that all women buy health insurance, to get free birth control, and we wouldn't need this new s.e.p

I think they should mandate that all women buy health insurance, to get free birth control, and we wouldn't need this new s.e.p

Since birth control ALWAYS works?

Let's not go this direction.

But even I don't think pregnancy should be an SEP. (In addition to the stupidity, how do they plan on enforcing it? Take a pic of home prego test? If you don't deliver in 9 months, they cancel your policy?)

Beware of my facetiousness.........

I just love new laws that help people, who don't follow the law in the first place.

I love all the questions I've had over the years from uninsured people trying to buy coverage when pregnancy occurs:

1. This pregnancy was an accident, so is it covered under accident insurance?
2. Can I get on my boyfriend's insurance, since he's paying for the pregnancy?
3. Can I sign up when I'm in my third trimester, then cancel the insurance once the baby is born?

Back