The Dismantling of ObamaCare - Ongoing Updates.

Well why not revamp snap to were you can only buy healthy food.....

There is a proposal to do just that here in Tennessee. It doesn't address the underlying issue though, many do not know how to eat healthy or prepare healthy food.

There is a proposal to do just that here in Tennessee. It doesn't address the underlying issue though, many do not know how to eat healthy or prepare healthy food.

they will learn......or starve.......hell I learned to cook as a kid.....if they have facebook you can not swing a dead cat without seeing a recipe post....hahahaha

You Won't Believe How Much Food Stamp Recipients Spend On Soda

SNAP recipients spent more money — more than $1.9 billion total — on sweetened beverages, frozen prepared foods, desserts, high-fat dairy, and salty snacks than they did on fruits, vegetables, milk, bread, and crackers, which totaled nearly $1.4 billion.

AND, I talked to a friend about what to eat and he told me that he couldn't afford it. The fact is that crappy food is cheap. Think McDonalds - there isn't 1 solid item on the menu that is safe to eat long term. They even manage to mess up simple eggs put into the burrito and the salads. Throw out the burgers, fries and soft drinks and that leaves coffee and unsweetened iced tea. Halthy food is expensive and attractive, healthy food even more so.

I remember an old econ Professor lamenting how we try to control how people spend their money that we give them. We set our transfer payments up as if they are intended to keep people in poverty. All benefits are lost when the person gets ANY income. I suggest a better approach would be to have a declining benefit approach similar to how carriers used to subsidize new agents. Subsidy goes down after training and activity management as income is supposed to go up. Alternatively, we spend $50,000 to keep a person incarcerated. Better to reduce recidivism and have them out and contributing economically. Only keep the dangerous locked up. Of course, we make money on jails and our efficient capitalistic system has 6-7 times more people in jail than China and China has 4x the population.

I heard one report where a program went to people on welfare and asked them what they needed to get off. The answers were things like seed money to start businesses, education on how to run business, child care, accountability groups. The conclusion was that given the right type of help, most don't want to live the crappy lifestyle that welfare allows and requires. Unfortunately, the Government isn't good at providing that type of help or program. Perhaps the non-profits supported by donations. I'd rather give money than be taxed anyway.

Re: Ann's comment about health and paying off-ex rates this year, yes large gamble and one I don't like. How much is a $20,000 family premium compounded over the next 5-10 years at whatever the individual rates will increase at? Now what's the chance of a hospital stay? That's the choice. Next year will be another decision point. Hopefully, I'll be here. Gotta stay healthy - I'm off to spin class.

Last edited:
they will learn......or starve.......hell I learned to cook as a kid.....if they have facebook you can not swing a dead cat without seeing a recipe post....hahahaha

No they won't. There already is SNAP/EBT fraud and no reason to doubt it wouldn't continue. Just like all those outlawing gun arguments.

----------

AND, I talked to a friend about what to eat and he told me that he couldn't afford it. The fact is that crappy food is cheap. Think McDonalds - there isn't 1 solid item on the menu that is safe to eat long term. They even manage to mess up simple eggs put into the burrito and the salads. That leaves coffee and unsweetened iced tea.

Re: Ann's comment about health and paying off-ex rates this year, yes large gamble and one I don't like. How much is a $20,000 family premium compounded over the next 5-10 years at whatever the individual rates will increase at? Now what's the chance of a hospital stay? That's the choice. Next year will be another decision point. Gotta stay healthy - I'm off to spin class.

That too. As I said, empty calories are cheap, cheap, cheap! Nutritious calories are more expensive.

How much is a 2 liter of soft drink? How much is the same amount of orange juice, even the cheapest one?

And.....drum roll...why is the crappy food so cheap.....

GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIES on the agriculture side to produce! Do you think there would be nearly as much corn syrup in everything if the government stopped their ag subsidies. Of course not, corn would cost a lot more.

Don't get me started on the stupid ethanol subsidies. Costs more energy to produce it than you get out of it when you take away the subsidies....

Maybe they'll just do "Medicare 4 All!", subsidize it, and that will be that. I'd be happy selling MedSup and other goodies only.

Are you willing to pay a 15% (?) tax to do it?

Whats the difference between a 15% tax and a $1,200 per month Premium? At least one method keeps it simple and cuts layers out of the system.

----------

The problem is that we cant expect young children to learn to cook to survive. Unfortunately there are kids out there who would never eat if there was not pre-prepared food in the house. Obviously its a great thing for a young person to learn... but you cant legislate away bad parents, which is the underlying problem.

Also, if you look at the actual figures of that study, there is only a 2% difference in sugary drink purchases between food stamp families and non food stamp families. Not a huge difference there from a price standpoint.

I would be interested to see the % of total diet the sugary drinks make up for each demographic. 7% of spending (non food stamp %) is too much for a healthy life.

The problem is that we cant expect young children to learn to cook to survive.

really.......what just exactly do you expect them to learn.......cooking should be the first thing they learn....... why do they go to school.....to learn how to earn a living to support themselves....which involves feeding yourself......

really.......what just exactly do you expect them to learn.......cooking should be the first thing they learn....... why do they go to school.....to learn how to earn a living to support themselves....which involves feeding yourself......

Obviously you have never tried teaching a 4 year old who cant even read yet to cook rice and beans. Or even a 6 or 7 year old for that matter... especially one with little to no structure in their home life....

Schools get them for 7 out of 24 hours.
1/4 of that time is spent moving bodies from point A to point B.
1/4 of that time is spent at lunch and PE.
Now we are down to 3.5 hours per day to actually teach academics... and teach cooking??

Any serious solution to stuff like that starts at home. Schools can only do so much.

However, I do agree that kids should learn a lot more about nutrition and ways to actually live and survive day to day in life. That includes cooking and paying bills and understanding basic finance, etc. etc. etc.

The answer to almost every single post in this thread is "personal responsibility" or in other words "actually giving a sh*t about yourself, your kids, and society".

You cant legislate parenting, you cant legislate health, you cant legislate personal priorities, and the schools can only do so much with the very little they are given to work with.

Latest posts

Back