The Dismantling of ObamaCare - Ongoing Updates.

I would have never made the leap to self-employment without the ACA.

The #1 killer of entrepreneurship in this country is group health insurance. Group Health is a HUGE drag on our economy. It kills competition among the work force, gives large corporations even more of an edge on small business, and it blinds the majority of people to the true cost of health insurance.

Single Payor would do wonders for this economy. We are paying for it either way. Only a fool thinks single payor is more expensive than what we have now. People arent out there dying in the street... they are getting medical care and its getting paid for by everyone in one way or another. Cut out the hundreds of layers in the middle and SIMPLIFY.

I cant tell you how many financial decisions are made based on health insurance coverage. Its not right. Its not right morally or logically.

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to see an expatriates medical bill from a Canadian Hospital their rates are just as high as in the United States ... for a non-citizen and if the patient doesn't pay their bill they get reported to the Canadian immigration. I still have a copy of that letter someplace.
I think the province was British Columbia

Health Spending per person
U.S. $9451
Canada $4609
France $4407
Germany $5,267
U.K. $4,003 but has more problems- Physicians work for govt
Per OECD 2016 data

No co-pays or deductibles.

Doctors and hospitals don't need large billing staffs and there are no bad debts. Opinion polls show well liked by Canadians. No advertising, no insurance company execs to pay or profit to shareholders. No commissions for sales.

Health outcomes from most reports are better in Canada and in many countries vs. the U.S.

In most provinces drugs are not covered and many get private Rx insurance. However, drug prices in Canada are far lower than in the U.S. Many U.S. folks order their drugs from Canadian Pharmacies which have controls and standards that many consider as high as in the U.S.

Just as an example, If us older guys need a lift ... I get Sildenafil from Canada, manufactured in Canada under strict Canadian drug manufacturing rules for $3.30 each vs U.S. Walgreens "value priced" at $21.00 each. Exactly the same drug. Fortunately, I don't need any other drugs for medical issues to compare.

The biggest negative in Canada is long wait times for non-emergency surgeries. For example, in Toronto, the average wait time for hip replacement surgery is about 200 days.

As one report claims: Health care delivery in Canada is superior to the American market approach in its efficiency of delivery. In the USA, 13.6 per cent of GNP is used on medical care. By contrast, in Canada, only 9.5 percent of GNP is used on the health care system, in part because there is no profit incentive for private insurers. The delivery system eliminates much of the advertising that is prominent in the USA, and the low overall administrative costs. Since there are no means tests and no bad-debt problems for doctors under the Canadian system, doctors billing and collection costs are reduced to almost zero.

On average doctors in Canada earn just slightly less than the U.S. average, but don't have to hire as many administrative folks, Don't pay for employee medical insurance and their E&O cost is much less than in the lawsuit happy U.S.

Health Spending per person
U.S. $9451
Canada $4609
France $4407
Germany $5,267
U.K. $4,003 but has more problems- Physicians work for govt
Per OECD 2016 data

No co-pays or deductibles.

Doctors and hospitals don't need large billing staffs and there are no bad debts. Opinion polls show well liked by Canadians. No advertising, no insurance company execs to pay or profit to shareholders. No commissions for sales.

Health outcomes from most reports are better in Canada and in many countries vs. the U.S.

In most provinces drugs are not covered and many get private Rx insurance. However, drug prices in Canada are far lower than in the U.S. Many U.S. folks order their drugs from Canadian Pharmacies which have controls and standards that many consider as high as in the U.S.

Just as an example, If us older guys need a lift ... I get Sildenafil from Canada, manufactured in Canada under strict Canadian drug manufacturing rules for $3.30 each vs U.S. Walgreens "value priced" at $21.00 each. Exactly the same drug. Fortunately, I don't need any other drugs for medical issues to compare.

The biggest negative in Canada is long wait times for non-emergency surgeries. For example, in Toronto, the average wait time for hip replacement surgery is about 200 days.

As one report claims: Health care delivery in Canada is superior to the American market approach in its efficiency of delivery. In the USA, 13.6 per cent of GNP is used on medical care. By contrast, in Canada, only 9.5 percent of GNP is used on the health care system, in part because there is no profit incentive for private insurers. The delivery system eliminates much of the advertising that is prominent in the USA, and the low overall administrative costs. Since there are no means tests and no bad-debt problems for doctors under the Canadian system, doctors billing and collection costs are reduced to almost zero.

On average doctors in Canada earn just slightly less than the U.S. average, but don't have to hire as many administrative folks, Don't pay for employee medical insurance and their E&O cost is much less than in the lawsuit happy U.S.

And hospitals for most part in CA are owned by?
Much of their and others providers/systems are govt owned. Watch what happens when talk of nationalizing our hospitals, etc.

I find it disingenuous to blame our entire set of health care problems on the profit motive. Everything else moves on profit.

Carriers are happy to break even on claims and keep admin charges for overhead. Almost all exclusions are to prevent adverse selection. Have all enrolled all the time and there is no adverse selection.

I talked to one person who lamented that her friend had run out of benefits and died. He was a trucker and the company had bought a stripped down plan to keep the premium down. That decision isn't the carrier's and not its responsibility. The paid what was owed.

Healthcare is a necessity. Most other necessities in this country have some type of price controls or regulations (think food/water/gas/electricity/INSURANCE).

Perhaps there is a happy medium between a 100% socialized system and what we have now.

-----------

A strep test should not cost $350 (hard cost to office is $15 for the test and about 15min total of their time)

US citizens should not pay substantially more than other developed nations for prescriptions drugs.

OB Physicians should not have to spend 20% of their revenue on Malpractice Insurance.

There are lots of ways to cut out the crap.... we just need politicians who have the balls to do it.

Back