The Dismantling of ObamaCare - Ongoing Updates.

The draft of new Republican repeal/replace bill out Monday night:

House Republicans on Monday released long-anticipated legislation to supplant the Affordable Care Act with a more conservative vision for the nation’s health care system, replacing federal insurance subsidies with a new form of individual tax credits and grants to help states shape their own policies.

Under bills drafted by two House committees, the GOP would no longer penalize Americans for failing to have health insurance and would begin winding down the ACA’s expansion of Medicaid three years from now.

The legislation would preserve two of the most popular features of the 2010 health-care law, letting young adults stay on their parents’ health plans until age 26 and forbidding insurers to deny coverage or charge more to people with pre-existing medical problems. It would, however, allow insurers to impose a surcharge on such people if they have had a gap in coverage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/new-details-emerge-on-gop-plans-to-repeal-and-replace-obamacare/2017/03/06/04751e3e-028f-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?utm_term=.607c7c37f235

Fox News:

House Republicans on Monday evening released the text of their long-awaited ObamaCare replacement bill, calling to eliminate the myriad taxes and penalties tied to the original legislation while still preserving certain patient protections.

The bill, called the American Health Care Act, can be read online at readthebill.gop.

The sweeping legislation would repeal ObamaCare’s taxes along with the so-called individual and employer insurance mandates. It also would repeal the Affordable Care Act’s subsidies, replacing them with tax credits for consumers.

House Republicans release long-awaited ObamaCare replacement bill | Fox News

To me, repealing Obamacare at this point makes no sense. Obamacare is on life support. No reason to pull the plug. It will be pronounced dead before 2018 rolls around.

Run out Trumpcare in tandem (and in competition) with Obamacare. Let the people choose. Avoids the political fallout of killing off Obamacare. Gives the people a voice in the decision.

If no one likes Trumpcare, so what? At least they were given a choice.

Ugh, this thing looks like a hot mess.

It appears to me Minimum loss rations still apply
guarantee issue still applies
it still picks winners and losers just at higher income levels
still has the family glitch
will still have open enrolment periods.

Sorry I don't see this stabilizing the individual market I see it creating even more problems.

Ugh, this thing looks like a hot mess.

It appears to me Minimum loss rations still apply
guarantee issue still applies
it still picks winners and losers just at higher income levels
still has the family glitch
will still have open enrolment periods.

Sorry I don't see this stabilizing the individual market I see it creating even more problems.

I agree with everything you said matter of fact it's worse. Basically everyone is getting tax credits up to $75K per person. Before barely any young people were getting subsidies now they will be getting tax credits which is basically a subsidy. Now I don't know if they took out the mandatory maternity and immunizations but I see this being worse.

TrumpCare is just Obamacare 2.0

If ObamaCare was lipstick on a pig, TrumpCare is lipstick on a donkey.

Single Payor here we come. No other option after the TrumpCare death spiral starts in a couple years.

my opinion after a quick read.
Because there are no minimum benefits mandated some insurance companies will get into the market.

1. Small employer groups throw in the towel first. Offering expensive employer-based insurance is STEALING $10,000 of Trump tax-credits for a 40-year-old couple with 2 children.

2. Life insurance with living benefits explodes coupled with STM, or 2 wink wink, until open enrollment with no medical questions.

3. HSAs explode.

4. Insurance companies will refuse to offer low deductible plans because of the dying alcoholic needing an $800,000 liver.

Because the excess can be put into the HSA accounts and the deposits can be as high as the max out of pocket. Healthy people will look for 10 even 20 thousand dollar out of pocket plans to maximize their HSA accounts. When they get sick they will switch on the next open enrolment date to a lower deductible non HSA plan.

Insureds will still only need to get from open enrollment to the next open enrollment.

How much risk will people need to cover to accomplish the goal?

My first thoughts are why an insurance company would want to play in this market unless they had very large deductibles. I can see $25,000 or even $50,000 deductible plans being offered in the future.

Rearranging the deck chairs.

Paul Rand calls this "Obamacare Lite".

I like the 30% surcharge for people who haven't continuously been covered without a 60 day gap for the prior 12 months. But Dems are already saying you don't pay a penalty to the IRS, you pay it to an insurance company...

Individual mandate and employer mandate penalties are $0, retro to 12/31/2015.

Lots of good stuff in this bill, but where is the part that causes premiums to go down?

Rearranging the deck chairs.

Paul Rand calls this "Obamacare Lite".

I like the 30% surcharge for people who haven't continuously been covered without a 60 day gap for the prior 12 months. But Dems are already saying you don't pay a penalty to the IRS, you pay it to an insurance company...

Individual mandate and employer mandate penalties are $0, retro to 12/31/2015.

Lots of good stuff in this bill, but where is the part that causes premiums to go down?

I also like this - everyone acting like the insurance companies did so well under PPACA, CBS just reported they don't like "Trumpcare", so it must be somewhat good for the average Joe.
I also liked the raised amounts for HSAs.

I think the thing that needs to happen is prescription drug reform - let Americans buy overseas and see the cost come way down! He said he's working on that now.

xZbW0V7.png

But looks like this is coming in phases:

yBJ12kk.png

Back