The Dismantling of ObamaCare - Ongoing Updates.

So HIPPA laws allow people to move from employer plans to Indy plans without UW? Did I read that correctly?

No, they didn't. That was state specific. Then it became carrier specific.

HIPAA specifically states "group". If carriers (or high risk pools) chose to expand the definition to individual coverage, that was allowed.

For example, if you were on a BCBS individual policy and went on a BCBS group, they didn't apply pre-ex.

If you were on a BCBS indy policy and went on UHC, pre-ex was applied.

The TX high risk pool didn't get people from individual coverage (that I am aware of) because their individual coverage was so much cheaper. And since the TX high risk pool had a $3K RX max (just like most indy plans) there was no incentive to move. If they ran out of COBRA, we didn't apply pre-ex on the High Risk pool.

No, they didn't. That was state specific. Then it became carrier specific.

HIPAA specifically states "group". If carriers (or high risk pools) chose to expand the definition to individual coverage, that was allowed.

For example, if you were on a BCBS individual policy and went on a BCBS group, they didn't apply pre-ex.

If you were on a BCBS indy policy and went on UHC, pre-ex was applied.

The TX high risk pool didn't get people from individual coverage (that I am aware of) because their individual coverage was so much cheaper. And since the TX high risk pool had a $3K RX max (just like most indy plans) there was no incentive to move. If they ran out of COBRA, we didn't apply pre-ex on the High Risk pool.

Ok so we have a Cigna group policy in IN. So it's still state specific or can we jump to a Cigna Indy plan with no preX??

I need a local health insurance agent, I think.

The only contract without pre-ex is an ACA compliant policy. Losing group coverage is a qualifying event. Deductible starts over. In order of importance: network, out of pocket, premium. HAD qualifying is usually best option. If you don't get subsidy, buy direct. (Edit: HSA - stoopid speel chek)

Most carriers don't pay commission so any agent you find will mostly be doing you a favor.

Last edited:
Here is your chance to express ideas to CMS:

Welcome to the Marketplace Agent and Broker Feedback Questionnaire! CMS is collecting your opinions and suggestions to better serve the agent and broker community.

This questionnaire should take about 10 minutes to complete and includes the following topics:

Communications
Messaging
Registration
Training
Enrollment

Thank you for your willingness to provide feedback regarding the Agent and Broker program! The feedback questionnaire will be available until June 7, 2017.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CMS_AB

Here is your chance to express ideas to CMS:

Welcome to the Marketplace Agent and Broker Feedback Questionnaire! CMS is collecting your opinions and suggestions to better serve the agent and broker community.

This questionnaire should take about 10 minutes to complete and includes the following topics:

Communications
Messaging
Registration
Training
Enrollment

Thank you for your willingness to provide feedback regarding the Agent and Broker program! The feedback questionnaire will be available until June 7, 2017.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CMS_AB

For anyone who completes the survey, please get to the last question and BEG (yes, beg) for an agent/broker dedicated line for client issues. Staffed with people that have the authority to fix something, not just refer to a nameless supervisor. We want those people to have names and extension numbers for follow up.

I suggested that the agent name be displayed somewhere in the HC.gov account details, and not just when you're doing an application.

Also requested commissions be required at certain levels.

More access to client account info, like 1095A forms.

For anyone who completes the survey, please get to the last question and BEG (yes, beg) for an agent/broker dedicated line for client issues. Staffed with people that have the authority to fix something, not just refer to a nameless supervisor. We want those people to have names and extension numbers for follow up.

No direct enrollment at all. We and our clients don't need answering service They (Gov)should save money and let us do our work on ins companies' expense. I wrote that direct enrollment creates confusion. Like with GEICO, servicers from the Marketplace are neutral and don't give advice or orientation to the applicant at so important moment. It is irresponsible to leave people without clear preparation for the product they are selecting.

----------

Has anyone seen this?

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=231949

It's over my head but looks like a great free market alternative to anything on the horizon.

This is good but stepping on too many toes?

Last edited:
Back