The Dismantling of ObamaCare - Ongoing Updates.

Wrote this 11/11/14 "Leave Obamacare alone...allow underwritten Major Med plans again in each state and get rid of of tax penalty for not enrolling in ACA. I would think in a 1 or 2 years the ACA would be on life support with only people with chronic conditions left and others getting free coverage. Stop the subsidies unless you can prove chronic health condition. Then basically what you would have left is a national high risk pool. Then break up the pools by state. Let each state run their pool subsidized by Fed. There you go...fixed..."

Wrote this 11/11/14 "Leave Obamacare alone...allow underwritten Major Med plans again in each state and get rid of of tax penalty for not enrolling in ACA. I would think in a 1 or 2 years the ACA would be on life support with only people with chronic conditions left and others getting free coverage. Stop the subsidies unless you can prove chronic health condition. Then basically what you would have left is a national high risk pool. Then break up the pools by state. Let each state run their pool subsidized by Fed. There you go...fixed..."

I don't know what you don't understand. You can't leave it alone. Premiums are through the roof. It doesn't matter whether we pay via tax and subsidies or individual pays. Premiums are too high, not affordable and people that have to write a check will/are deciding that they are not worth it.

High risk pools in TN are for ****. Anyone with anything but a cold can't pass individual underwriting. Then we're back to a different pretense that people have access to coverage. Simply a different set of problems than we have with ACA.

I think this plan has been talked about in TN recently.
Back to the old days.....underwritten

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/art...0110-BLOG-170119980&utm_campaign=financedaily

It is amazing that Farm Bureau is able to get away with full underwriting. According to the article, it can do so because it is a "not-for-profit membership services organization providing services to the members of the Tennessee Farm Bureau Federation, which was created in 1947. Under a state law passed in 1993, he said, it's considered an organization that creates programs for rural health, not a licensed health insurer subject to Tennessee statute and therefore not subject to ACA rules."

I always felt that carriers could use the HIPAA excepted policies (STM, FI, etc.) to go with medical underwriting if needed, but apparently this is another loophole. I'm not saying it's the world's greatest idea, but in the wild-wild west, without other valid options, all sorts of solutions could arise.

Isn't the Farm Bureau a co-op? Not just TN but other states as well?

Nationwide Insurance and (I believe) State Farm both originated as Farm Bureau insurance co-ops.

Isn't the Farm Bureau a co-op? Not just TN but other states as well?

Nationwide Insurance and (I believe) State Farm both originated as Farm Bureau insurance co-ops.

Nationwide did, I do not believe State Farm did. Farm Bureau is a co-op, the insurance company is just that, a company. Most are mutuals.

The FB coverage is the best tn option for those who can pass underwriting and don't receive a subsidy. Be sure to take penalty into consideration.

Administered by UHC and uses the same networks as UHC's group products. FB agents typically don't know squat so don't rely on their information. Rates are slightly more than UHC'S STM for a similar time frame. STM rates for 11 months are more than 1 month x 11. You can get a significant discount for paying up front.

Unfortunately I sent quite a few clients there. What the hell, it's only money and not much in the scheme of things.

STM for longer durations goes away in April unless things change.

Last edited:
January 11, 2017

The ACA-ObamaCare Repeal/Replace process OFFICIALLY got underway late this evening.

Excerpt:
""Washington (CNN)Senate Republicans launched their effort to repeal and replace President Barack Obama's landmark healthcare law early Thursday morning, approving a budget blueprint that they've dubbed the Obamacare "repeal resolution."

The Senate voted 51-48 along party lines for the measure, which relies on the same budget process used seven years ago to approve the landmark healthcare law to now attempt to dismantle it.""

Full Story: Senate opens Obamacare repeal drive with overnight marathon - CNNPolitics.com

I think Health Insurers and Agents prefer an all-at-once replacement for ObamaCare, rather than incremental chunks over a year or two. Right?

All at once is preferable but I doubt it is possible unless implementation is staggered. The biggest challenge is selling carriers on the wait or enticing them to come back to the market.

I fear that Obamacare has effectively discouraged most carriers from ever participating again.

Back