Do You Think All of the Off Exchange People

Accidents and complications, surgeries, and the aftermath can get into 6 figures + pretty fast. Long hospitalizations from complications, severity, infection. All can happen to otherwise healthy people.

Good posts, will use ideas with clients. Most probably wouldn't be talking to me, though, unless they really want to avoid the big ticket disaster.

I've been paying for my own health insurance for many years and NEVER had I experienced a 100% rate increase from one year to the next. That is until my carrier cancelled my pre-ACA plan.

We may have been experiencing decent sized rate increases prior to ACA, but nothing like we have seen in the last couple of years.

I was organizing some files yesterday and came across my list of pre-ACA Coventry clients. It lists their pre-ACA plan and the plan they were being migrated to if they did nothing. The rate increases range from 31.4% to as much as 150.3%. And here's the kicker, many went from a $2,750 deductible to a $5,750 deductible. So not only did their rates increase drastically, but so did their deductible.

You can try to minimize it by saying rates were increasing prior to the ACA, but the fact is premiums have jumped drastically and it's a direct result of the ACA.

Good answer..you tell the truth with diplomacy. Anyone who sold health insurance from 2004-20010, knows how far removed we are, from those rates both in nominal and real terms.

It is really odd how this thread turned into "championing" the necessity of purchasing health insurance. I think some of these people have a reading comprehension problem.

Good answer..you tell the truth with diplomacy. Anyone who sold health insurance from 2004-20010, knows how far removed we are, from those rates both in nominal and real terms.

It is really odd how this thread turned into "championing" the necessity of purchasing health insurance. I think some of these people have a reading comprehension problem.

We are all in sales....how much attention to detail are you expecting?

Yes, the cost of health insurance is exorbitant. And none of us like it. I have clients that already have claims heading towards $100,000 and have paid in $2100 this year in premium. Those numbers do not compute. I can see where the huge rate increases come in with 'no health questions asked' scenario.

And the doctors are now taking full advantage of the low deductibles: one of my clients is American Indian. She has a BC/BS -0- deductible; -0- co-pay; -0- prescription cost. When she turned 40 he ordered an electrocardiogram 'because she turned 40'. She had a pap which came back good and he ordered an Ultrasound. Why? No reason other than she has a 100% paid plan.

Yes, we can read and know what you were asking, Bill. It doesn't matter the cost people still need catastrophic coverage at minimum. The HSA is a good answer. It appears to me yet another revamping is in the offing. I cannot see the current system holding up. It is already imploding.

1. Every thread on this forum seems to take a turn in an odd direction.

2. The end theme of every thread is the necessity of purchasing health insurance and purchasing it from an agent. Otherwise, why are we here?

:laugh:

I needed a Lotus Esprit when I was 25 a lot more than most people need health insurance, but I couldn't pay for it.

Sadly, the great car is out of production and has been for many years..they were going to bring it back last year, but the plans were cancelled.

Back