Dropping People when They Get Sick.

SamIam

Guru
1000 Post Club
What are these Idiots talking about! Since I've been in the biz in 2003 the only time I have seen the carriers drop somebody when their sick is when they lied on the application and the policy gets rescinded. I'm so sick of hearing that statement.

Me too!
In Texas, I never heard of such....since 1984 (for me)!
They COULD get cancelled (in Tx) after filing a claim because they lied on app & policy got rescinded.

Did OTHER states have different laws?
Or are these politicians just spreading more lies?

Last edited:
A lot has been said during this entire run up that may not be true to your state's situation, but it doesn't mean it hasn't happened elsewhere. As a nation we are paying a price for the sale of minimeds in several regions that don't really provide coverage to consumers. If you listen to the complaints surrounding the need for the ACA, what you hear traces back to things like minimeds.

In some ways the industry has given the opportunity for the government to come in and do what they're doing. This wasn't out of the blue. The ACA wasn't a surprise.

In the biz since 1975. Carriers rarely cancel a policy without good reason. Misrepresentation on an app and non-payment of the premium will get you cancelled. The only difference in rescinding an app now vs pre-Obamacare is retroactive rescissions are forbidden.

Mini-meds did create nightmares, especially the folks at Mega that sold a ton of fixed indemnity plans. I have seen a few major med plans in the past with $100k annual limits but those are rare. GR used to write $3M lifetime max and I hesitated in selling them but in my career I have only had 1 claim go over $3M.

Counting large group, I have probably insured 500,000 people over the years so the statistical chance of a $3M claim is slight . . . at least until it happens to you.

I have had several who were cancelled for non-payment of premium. A few rescissions for lying on the app. But I would not consider these situations to be common occurrences.

What are these Idiots talking about! Since I've been in the biz in 2003 the only time I have seen the carriers drop somebody when their sick is when they lied on the application and the policy gets rescinded. I'm so sick of hearing that statement.

I had a physician client come in and pick up an application for his 27 year old son. He took the app home to have his son complete/sign.
A day later, the app is in my office. The son answered "no" to every question which isn't unusual for a young male.
I fax the app to Anthem on the 27th of the month. App was approved a day later for a 1st of the month eff date.
Several months later, I rec a tele call from the UW dept at Anthem. They want the hard copy of the app.
Apparently, this young man entered drug rehab 5 days after the eff date.
To shorten the story, Anthem finds where his young man has been in and out of drug rehab 3 times in the past 3years.
Anthem rescinds coverage.
The father comes into my office upset and pissed!
He claims he didn't know about his sons previous drug rehab treatment.
Yeah right.......lol.
So "yes", the evil insurance industry does cancel people when they get sick.

Give me a break LGilmore. This whole law is based on a bold face lie. For you to say that because of minimeds it opened the door for the federal government to take over 1/6 of the economy picking their own winners and losers is absolutely ridiculous statement. If there was no such thing as minimeds this law would have been slammed down everyone's throats. You think minimeds are bad...look what is going on now and we have not even gotten to how this is going to effect people who need care under this new law. By the way...minimeds did not stop anybody from getting care when they needed it. Obviously, it is not good insurance but it is something. There was a day not that long ago when nobody had health insurance but everyone had access to care. You do not need insurance to get healthcare.

I've been in business 25+ years and to my Knowledge I have had 0 clients dropped because they got sick. Just a bunch of lies IMO. Now if a client committed Fraud when completing an application that would be a different story but again in my 25 years in the business I can't even recall any of that taking place.

And during Carney's press conference today he again told the reporters that people that could not get through on the web site could use Navigators, Community Groups etc. Not 1 mention of the so called agents who could assist in enrollment:mad:.

The dems have to distort the truth in order to save face on this piece of $hit legislation.
I have been in the health ins business since 1978.
I have never seen anyone cx'd because they got sick!
Now I have seen people that lied on the app get rescinded.

There would have never been a health insurance market if you could be dropped if you got sick. Nobody would ever buy into such nonsense. Not in the 50's 60's 70's 80's...no time.

@houcoogster Amen!!! The whole idea of dropping people as soon as they get sick goes against common sense. Who in their right mind would buy insurance??? Obviously, it is against the law to just drop people...and the insurance company who would do such a stupid thing would be sued into oblivion not to mention all the bad press that would put them out of business in short time. Also, everybody here knows the insurance industry is the most heavily regulated industry there is to protect the consumer.

Back