Emergency Room/ Hospital Under Obamacare

SamIam

Guru
1000 Post Club
If you don't get coverage and you go to the hospital or emergency room are they setting it up where you sign something at the hospital and your covered or how does it work.

Or is it like I think you still pay the Tax and still responsible for the bills.

I haven't followed the law until the Supremes passed it.

My understanding in regards to the penalty is that you are subject to the penalty if you are not covered by an approved policy for the entire year.

In regards to the Hospital signing someone up at the ER so as to get Insurance Dollars in and having a better shot at being paid is a good question normally a policy would have an effective date some time in the future not right this minute but who knows what will happen with the "Exchanges".

Could you imagine if the hospital could issue a GI policy with policy number in minutes and bill that policy right then and then the patient cancels the policy the next month?

Your going to see open enrollment period instituted to avoid this scenario. Pay the small the penalty, buy a cheap accident policy, and you're on your way to gaming the system.

Whose got more game?

Yagents said:
Your going to see open enrollment period instituted to avoid this scenario. Pay the small the penalty, buy a cheap accident policy, and you're on your way to gaming the system.

Whose got more game?

Your assuming Obama wants the program to work and not be a stepping stone to single payer.

Whose got more game?

If the open-enrollment period is the same month(s) in the year for all the carriers, it would be an effective deterrent to those who want to "game" the system, IMO.

If you let each company choose its own open-enrollment period, there will always be some company on the exchange that will accept you in any given month.
-ac

PCIP can be gamed. The Mass Connector is gamed. There is always a way to game the system.

Under the law the Hospitals get the right to assume everyone is eligible for coverage.

Does anyone have more information on the penalty for not having coverage? Is the penalty amount only for the 1st two years and then it goes up?

Is the penalty amount only for the 1st two years and then it goes up?

2016 and Beyond

[FONT=Verdana,VERDANA][FONT=Verdana,VERDANA]Penalty is $695 per adult and $347.50 per child (up to $2,085 for a family) or 2.5% of family income, whichever is greater.[/FONT][/FONT]

After 2016, penalty amounts are increased annually by the cost of living.

Image:
Image:
Image:
Image:
Obama+JoeThePlumber.jpg

"Now, if you're making oh say 4 times the poverty rate or more a year we're going to ask that you to pay a little more. Now, that's only fair... Sorry Joe, you're skrewed!!!"

I wonder if they will impose the penalty if there is not enough money to provide the subsidies?

And you know there won't be money for subsidies, so . . .

Back