The Eye Popping 2016 Obamacare Rate Increases Are Out

Bob Lazsewski's Healthcare & Marketplace blog today shows requested rate increases by state. These are not finalized of course, but give an idea of what we'll be seeing for 2016.

Health Care Policy and Marketplace Review: The Eye Popping 2016 Obamacare Rate Increases Are Out

As mentioned in an another thread this is a very useful site, it gives the overall rate increases by company, by state and gives us an early heads up on what will be needed during open enrollment (and 5 months to get our clients ready as well).

The increases, of course, are high and will hurt the non-subsidized market, just as predicted a couple of years ago.

If rates are increasing in part due to insureds getting care covered by insurance that would formerly have been cost shifted from the ER, from hospital sliding scale write offs or from government subsidized free clinics in cities/counties then wouldn't it be possible to show the reductions in ER admissions for uninsureds, people who are turned away from free clinics now due to qualifying for ACA subsidies, etc? There should be some stats showing that we are saving taxpayer subsidized costs in column A, but shifting costs to column B (insureds with no subsidy). Not that such a discussion would help someone who gets a double digit rate increase, a higher deductible and no subsidy in 2016.
New twist on the prior open enrollment bumpy rides.

If rates are increasing in part due to insureds getting care covered by insurance that would formerly have been cost shifted from the ER, from hospital sliding scale write offs or from government subsidized free clinics in cities/counties then wouldn't it be possible to show the reductions in ER admissions for uninsureds, people who are turned away from free clinics now due to qualifying for ACA subsidies, etc? There should be some stats showing that we are saving taxpayer subsidized costs in column A, but shifting costs to column B (insureds with no subsidy). Not that such a discussion would help someone who gets a double digit rate increase, a higher deductible and no subsidy in 2016.
New twist on the prior open enrollment bumpy rides.

I don't have answers to all of your questions, but it doesn't appear that there is a reduction in ER visits.

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20150117/NEWS/301169969

Better get your alternative solutions ready. Figure out how to avoid paying the individual mandate penalty, offer short term medical and Christian cost-share programs, create high deductible supplemental insurance bundles....and wait for Obama to blame insurance companies for this government caused disaster while promoting more and more government control over healthcare.

There's an offer section. Please stop spamming us.

Did I offer you something?

Pimp Daddy!!!...lol

Ok, as I predicted years ago, and glad to see my good friend the gentleman from Florida FLM agreeing with me that there will be 2 types of people with health insurance, the highly subsidized and the rich.... the middle class have been carved out of the equasion. There is no way they can swing it anymore.... we have just flipped the script. No more poor being treated as 2nd class deadbeats now the middle class between 300 and 700% of the FPl will be looked at with raised eyebrow when they visit a doctor or hospital as they have no way to pay.

The middle class crowd will visit a hospital, get dinged for a 75K claim and have their credit creamed with late pays and charge offs due to the new uninsured class. The car makers and home builders with start feeling the boot of slow sales since no one can get financed and they will get financial trouble.....It's starting to look allot like Sweden... every middle classer drives a dump used car, lives in the same style apartment, has the same appliances and muddles tru life just happy the sun came out.... large % of residents on depression pills due to the miserable little life they lead... welcome home folks

Another projection is that HMO plans will be the national chirping song of the subsidized crowd as PPO's have become the rich mans health caviar......

Better get your alternative solutions ready. Figure out how to avoid paying the individual mandate penalty, offer short term medical and Christian cost-share programs, create high deductible supplemental insurance bundles....and wait for Obama to blame insurance companies for this government caused disaster while promoting more and more government control over healthcare.

I have looked at what you're talking about. Some on here were so kind to point out, there are big holes. I just can't point someone in the direction of the Christian Health Services, Medi-Share, etc. when there is no guarantee that they will pay anything at all. They will gladly take your money and then when there is a claim -- good luck!

Agents are offering short term and limited benefit because that leaves some money for Critical Illness and Accident policies. Don't get me wrong I believe in those but $20 CI doesn't go very far if you're diagnosed with cancer.

My husband and I went from individual coverage into Medicare. When you see the difference in how things are billed when you get into Medicare, it's ridiculous. I don't think Medicare pays doctors enough but labwork, MRIs, etc. are very interesting. Someone is paying the difference and it's us, the taxpayer.

Too many of the limited benefit plans cover hospital and very little outpatient. A great majority of stuff now is done outpatient. Try to get into a decent doctor without insurance. They don't even make appointments anymore without your insurance information. Then try to negotiate a cash price and they will tell you "sure we give a cash discount", just like the sales in the stores, they jack the price up and then give you a "nice" discount.

Our medical system in this country may have needed a fix but ObamaCare only made things worse.

Concierge doctors and surgical clinics that post their prices online seem to be a viable alernative. Check this guy out Surgery Center of Oklahoma | Free market-loving, price-displaying, state-of-the-art, AAAHC accredited, doctor owned, multispecialty surgical facility in central OK.

Did I offer you something?

Well, here was your first post on the forum:

Yes I work for a competitor insurance company that offers individual supplemental health and dental vision products. We have a very strong accident expense and critical illness product. Feel free to contact me.

And here's your second post:

It doesn't seem like a far stretch to think you are, in a subtle way, hoping to get some business from the members of the forum.

sweet!!! a few more rate increase like this and all plans will be Cadillac plans.

sweet!!! a few more rate increase like this and all plans will be Cadillac plans.

There is going to be a new Metal Tier plan level in 2016, it is called 'Fools' Gold'

----------

Pimp Daddy!!!...lol

Ok, as I predicted years ago, and glad to see my good friend the gentleman from Florida FLM agreeing with me that there will be 2 types of people with health insurance, the highly subsidized and the rich.... the middle class have been carved out of the equasion. There is no way they can swing it anymore.... we have just flipped the script. No more poor being treated as 2nd class deadbeats now the middle class between 300 and 700% of the FPl will be looked at with raised eyebrow when they visit a doctor or hospital as they have no way to pay.

The middle class crowd will visit a hospital, get dinged for a 75K claim and have their credit creamed with late pays and charge offs due to the new uninsured class. The car makers and home builders with start feeling the boot of slow sales since no one can get financed and they will get financial trouble.....It's starting to look allot like Sweden... every middle classer drives a dump used car, lives in the same style apartment, has the same appliances and muddles tru life just happy the sun came out.... large % of residents on depression pills due to the miserable little life they lead... welcome home folks

Another projection is that HMO plans will be the national chirping song of the subsidized crowd as PPO's have become the rich mans health caviar......

Tater, we completely agree on this, the middle class is getting thoroughly screwed by the law and should have been allowed to keep their existing plans from the 2010-2013 era that were mostly compliant and had lower premiums.

Back