Federal Health Exchange Options?

Rearden

Guru
5000 Post Club
I live in TN -- have a spouse and 3 kids.

My spouse has pre-existing health issues -- a pacer and a spinal fusion.

I am insured under my group health plan but may go back into business myself sometime in 2014.

My question is -- what are my options for coverage? Is there an online resource besides here that I can refer to?

I asked this question before, but things seem so fluid.

Thanks.

Reardon, Most likely there is not anything up right now. You could review the guidelines for coverage. I would guess that sometime in late summer/early fall (before October) the plans will come out. In NC, premiums/plans are still being reviewed by the Dept of Insurance.
R

I live in TN -- have a spouse and 3 kids.

My spouse has pre-existing health issues -- a pacer and a spinal fusion.

I am insured under my group health plan but may go back into business myself sometime in 2014.

My question is -- what are my options for coverage? Is there an online resource besides here that I can refer to?

I asked this question before, but things seem so fluid.

Thanks.

Once you lose your group plan, you can keep Cobra, or get a guarantee issue policy on the federally run TN exchange. I have not seen carriers announced, and neither any specific plans. But, they will be major medical at 4 different levels of out of pocket expenses, premium costs, Rx formulary and networks. Affordable Health Insurance | Covered Californiaâ„¢ is a good site to see what type of plans are rolling out there to give you an idea. Your cost will depend upon your expected income in 2014, you can run estimated quotes using these calculators:
National Health Care Calculator
Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

One benefit of the law, is there will no longer be "job lock" and people will be able to leave and open up their own businesses

The key here is when you decide to take the plunge and start your own business, you choose a qualified health agent. Unfortunately there isn't a specific sign you can look for. My best advice is to interview several agents and do some research. You will need a health insurance agent for the same reasons you need a tax adviser. Sure you can purchase tax software at Officemax, but can the software answer specific questions to your specific situation?

Back