Federal Marketplace Question

Slade

Expert
Parents and their 19 year old adult child (who was just booted off CHIP) are in two different tax households. The ACA allows for all adult children up to age 26 to enroll or stay on their parent's plan. The Marketplace on the other hand, will not allow her to enroll on the same plan. I also confirmed this with a Marketplace supervisor. The Marketplace program will not allow users to, "Continue to Enrollment".

healthreformbeyondthebasics.org states the following, "Brian and Anika are married and file taxes jointly. Their 23-year-old daughter, Olivia, lives with them. Olivia works and files her own tax return. Even though Olivia is in a different tax household from her parents, she can enroll in a plan with them because she is under 26 years old. Even if they enroll in a family plan together, the premium tax credit amount will be determined separately for each tax household (see Figure 2). Brian and Anika’s premium tax credit will be based on their income as a household of two. Olivia’s premium tax credit will be based on her income as a single household member. At tax time, Brian and Anika would file a tax return and reconcile their APTC amount and Olivia would file her own tax return and reconcile her APTC amount."

If the adult child in this case created their own Marketplace account, their income is too low to qualify for a premium tax credit and Nebraska didn't expand Medicaid. Her parents not only receive a tax credit but also cost sharing reduction. I figured the best option would be for the daughter to enroll on her parents plan. Even though her portion of the premium would not be offset by premium tax credits, she would at least be on a cost sharing reduction plan with her parents.

I would appreciate any solutions anyone might suggest.

Parents and their 19 year old adult child (who was just booted off CHIP) are in two different tax households. The ACA allows for all adult children up to age 26 to enroll or stay on their parent's plan. The Marketplace on the other hand, will not allow her to enroll on the same plan. I also confirmed this with a Marketplace supervisor. The Marketplace program will not allow users to, "Continue to Enrollment".

healthreformbeyondthebasics.org states the following, "Brian and Anika are married and file taxes jointly. Their 23-year-old daughter, Olivia, lives with them. Olivia works and files her own tax return. Even though Olivia is in a different tax household from her parents, she can enroll in a plan with them because she is under 26 years old. Even if they enroll in a family plan together, the premium tax credit amount will be determined separately for each tax household (see Figure 2). Brian and Anika’s premium tax credit will be based on their income as a household of two. Olivia’s premium tax credit will be based on her income as a single household member. At tax time, Brian and Anika would file a tax return and reconcile their APTC amount and Olivia would file her own tax return and reconcile her APTC amount."

If the adult child in this case created their own Marketplace account, their income is too low to qualify for a premium tax credit and Nebraska didn't expand Medicaid. Her parents not only receive a tax credit but also cost sharing reduction. I figured the best option would be for the daughter to enroll on her parents plan. Even though her portion of the premium would not be offset by premium tax credits, she would at least be on a cost sharing reduction plan with her parents.

I would appreciate any solutions anyone might suggest.

If the child is not listed on parents tax return then they can not include said child on a subsidized application. They can only include child on non- subsidized application.

Is there a reason that the child is not listed as a dependent on their tax return? If she makes less than $6,300 in 2016 she can still file her own tax return to get a refund, but cannot claim her personal exemption. There is a test on the IRS website for who you can claim on your taxes as a dependent for ACA purposes. It only has 2016 info, but it does give some more details on who to claim.

For how to file the taxes, they will have to check with a tax professional. I refer clients to tax professionals when it comes to how to file appropriately. I do health, not taxes...

https://www.irs.gov/uac/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

Back