Goverment SHOCKED by MEDICAID Enrollments

Duaine

Guru
100+ Post Club
Headline: Sorry Brain Fart: Should be Medicaid

Medicaid enrollment spike a threat to Obamacare structure?

(CBS News) The disastrous rollout of HealthCare.gov may have another serious problem: A CBS News analysis shows that in many of the 15 state-based health insurance exchanges more people are enrolling in Medicaid rather than buying private health insurance. And if that trend continues, there's concern there won't be enough healthy people buying health insurance for the system to work.

As the Obamacare website struggles, the administration is emphasizing state-level success. President Obama said Monday, "There's great demand at the state level as well. Because there are a bunch of states running their own marketplaces."

But left unsaid in the president's remarks: the newly insured in some of those states are overwhelmingly low-income people signing up for Medicaid at no cost to them.

Matt Salo, executive director of the National Association of Medicaid Directors, said, "We're seeing a huge spike in terms of Medicaid enrollments."

He says the numbers have surprised him and state officials.

CBS News has confirmed that in Washington, of the more than 35,000 people newly enrolled, 87 percent signed up for Medicaid. In Kentucky, out of 26,000 new enrollments, 82 percent are in Medicaid. And in New York, of 37,000 enrollments, Medicaid accounts for 64 percent. And there are similar stories across the country in nearly half of the states that run their own exchanges.

Medicaid experts say they're not sure why they're seeing the lopsided enrollment numbers, but point out it's easier to enroll in Medicaid than private insurance.

An administration spokeswoman says coverage provided by the new law offers "a range of options so consumers can pick a plan that best meets their needs ... and their budget."

But Gail Wilensky, a former Medicaid director, said the numbers are causing concern in the insurance industry, which needs healthy adults to buy private insurance in large numbers for the system to work.

"Either the private insurance enrollments come up somewhere around the expected amount or there's going to be a problem. ... You need a volume and you need a mix of people that are healthy as well as high users in private insurance, in order to have it be sustainable," she said.

The Obama administration says they expected these high enrollment numbers in Medicaid because the law expands the number of low-income people who can get Medicaid, CBS News' Jan Crawford reported on "CBS This Morning." Supporters say this shows demand. But industry sources say that if we do not see some real turnaround soon, there could be big problems for the entire system.

Medicaid enrollment spike a threat to Obamacare structure? - CBS News

All those governors who passed on expanding Medicaid are going to looks like geniuses. Sure, the Feds may pay for the expansion for a few years, but eventually they are going to ask the states to pick up the additional costs.

Duiane..change your title to "MEDICAID".

They're shocked? The very government that is causing incomes to plummet and enrolling record numbers on food-stamps is shocked at the number of people qualifying for and enrolling in Medicaid? Give me a frickin break!

Carriers won't be happy either.

Good point! I've enrolled two completely healthy people on the state Medicaid program who would have been good candidates for a private, subsidized plan on the Exchange.

I wonder how the Feds view it? Since they're paying for Medicaid expansion, it probably doesn't matter one way or the other to Uncle Sam if a person enrolls in Medicaid, or Receives a Subsidy.

The states? I don't know. It's a mixed bag.
ac

Carriers need young healthy people. They are (most likely) getting old and mostly sick. This won't work out well for them, especially HIX business.

From the off exchange business I'm writing, out of 20, 90% are between 55-65, and everyone one of them are saving money even paying full price (coming off GI type plans). The companies are now getting less money from the biggest claim clients. Others were uninsured, but now paying full price for an upcoming knee replacement on Jan 5th.

From the off exchange business I'm writing, out of 20, 90% are between 55-65, and everyone one of them are saving money even paying full price (coming off GI type plans). The companies are now getting less money from the biggest claim clients. Others were uninsured, but now paying full price for an upcoming knee replacement on Jan 5th.

Ok...I had to read this 3 times, but I got it now, Yagents. You're saying:

1.) That the 2014 premiums are lower, but the high medical costs (ongoing claims) remain for existing high-risk customers.

2.) Those who were previously turned down due to poor health, or need some imminent medical care are flocking to the 2014 plans.

It's too bad that Obama/Sebelius don't like insurance agents. We could be a real asset to the ACA if the Administration valued us more. As it is, we're inadvertently helping to sabotage enrollment and accelerate the "death spiral" process by putting the healthiest people into new 2013 plans for 12 more months. This Administration just keeps shooting itself in the foot. Oh well!
-ac

Back