Graham Cassidy Legislation

Giving states absolute control will be a clusterf$ck.

As I've said before, my state legislature cant even fix our crumbling roads. And when they do finally make a fix, its half*ss and crumbles apart within a few months.

Yet Lindsey wants to trust them with my healthcare... wtf?! They are living in a fantasy world. Ive always voted for Lindsey, I doubt I will in the future.

I seriously don't see this passing for several reasons. Considering how poll after poll shows a general support for the ACA and how the other plans were generally panned by the budget office and the public as a whole.

I expect a few moderates to jump ship.

Giving states absolute control will be a clusterf.

As I've said before, my state legislature cant even fix our crumbling roads. And when they do finally make a fix, its half*ss and crumbles apart within a few months.

Yet Lindsey wants to trust them with my healthcare... wtf?! They are living in a fantasy world. Ive always voted for Lindsey, I doubt I will in the future.

Before ObamaCare, each state's insurance commissioner set the parameters for health insurers doing business there.

Doesn't Graham-Cassidy simply return that power to the states, and throw in $1.2 Trillion (spread from 2020-2026) for them to apply as they see fit?

Before ObamaCare, each state's insurance commissioner set the parameters for health insurers doing business there.

Doesn't Graham-Cassidy simply return that power to the states, and throw in $1.2 Trillion (spread from 2020-2026) for them to apply as they see fit?

Things were broken before. Ocare fixed some of that but broke other things. Going back to the old broken system is not a good solution in my opinion.

How well does the state legislature function in IL? I wouldnt trust my state senators to tie a shoe correctly. And it would take them 4 years just to decide on what method to tie the shoe.

--------

Someone made a similar comment at dinner tonight. They said Oregon has different needs than FL, so they need a different system.

If that is true... if the needs are so much different in some states vs. others... then why are there no complaints with Group Policies that are issued in states on the other side of the country?

I have SC situs groups with locations in CO, VA, FL, AK, IL, MN, AZ, & CA. And there are zero complaints about a SC based policy in those out of state locatoins. The policy regulated in SC, works great for people all over the country. Why is that?

Not too long ago, my kid was on a group policy based out of CA. Guess what? Our needs here in SC lined up perfectly with the needs that the CA based policy covered.

My point is this: Healthcare needs are no different in SC than they are in OR or IL or any other state in the nation. How on earth does it make sense to have 50 different solutions, when we all need the same services and all have the same basic needs no matter what state we live in?

Last edited:

Yes and no. It's about politics now. The Republicans will have some backlash if they repeal it or not. It's just a matter of how much. Do they want to try and keep traditionally blue states of PA and MI red? They would lose a lot of funding under the current plan.

Ohio is also a loser and that state can go either way. Although it's been blue more than red in the past.

The 2018 elections are just around the corner and if your a Senator in a close district how do you want to be seen? Is the base loyal enough for you to keep your seat? Or do you go home and face an angry crowd?

It stopped being about health care some time ago, now that the Republicans have power, they don't have a solution to the mess they find themselves in.

It won't pass for the reasons above.

Someone made a similar comment at dinner tonight. They said Oregon has different needs than FL, so they need a different system.

If that is true... if the needs are so much different in some states vs. others... then why are there no complaints with Group Policies that are issued in states on the other side of the country?

I have SC situs groups with locations in CO, VA, FL, AK, IL, MN, AZ, & CA. And there are zero complaints about a SC based policy in those out of state locatoins. The policy regulated in SC, works great for people all over the country. Why is that?

Not too long ago, my kid was on a group policy based out of CA. Guess what? Our needs here in SC lined up perfectly with the needs that the CA based policy covered.

My point is this: Healthcare needs are no different in SC than they are in OR or IL or any other state in the nation. How on earth does it make sense to have 50 different solutions, when we all need the same services and all have the same basic needs no matter what state we live in?

The only thing that varies from state to state are networks. And even that can be solved. Otherwise Fortune 500 companies with employees all over the country would need 50 different plans or more.

Before ACA in TN, individual plans underwrote down to a gnat's ass and many could not pass underwriting. After ACA, we have the old and sick insured and rates are through the roof. Of the unsubsidized, only the sick are buying.

One person who had a kidney transplant said that the drug company pays his out-of-pocket in January so that the rest of the year's coverage is 100%. Yes, drug prices are a problem too.

I'd bail to Medicare if possible. There are currently no acceptable options and proposals on the table are not helpful. Perhaps I'll vacation in Sweden for a time.

Edit: @Vol, my CA group has much higher rates than my TN groups. Employees from low income states don't like the premium sharing on a CA group.

TN commissioner works for BCBST (on the sly - I interpret from some of her ignorant statements).

Edit: @Vol, my CA group has much higher rates than my TN groups. Employees from low income states don't like the premium sharing on a CA group.

Vol and I were not discussing Premiums. We were discussing consumer needs and Plan Design.

Some states are more expensive and some are cheaper. That is due to the cost of living and cost of care in that area. Not because people in CA have different health care needs than people in TN.

----------

The only thing that varies from state to state are networks. And even that can be solved. Otherwise Fortune 500 companies with employees all over the country would need 50 different plans or more.

Exactly.

At this point, BCBS is usually the best option for businesses with locations in multiple states because they have the largest national network.

Back