Health Insurance Numbers Then and Now...

steph0216

Expert
As a new producer, I'm obviously jumping on board amidst a lot of change in the business.

I'm an independent agent, and just curious as to how my 1st year numbers are stacking up compared to those who started in health insurance sales before the ACA? Those of you with lots of experience, how many policies did you write your first year ?

Those days are over. Post ACA, you write as many apps as you can in OEP, because once 2/15/2015 comes around harvest is over and you have to glean business any way you can. So, the answer to your question is - work 18 hour days until 2/15/2015 and then count how many you did. A single agent can do hundreds in OEP.

So pre-ACA would the norm for a new agent be to write 200 apps/year and now we are cramming that into 90 days, or do you think the AEP gives new agents a better opportunity to boost sales?
I am keying on med supps during the off-season. Also, just curious about average 1st year numbers for a new independent agent.

Really depends on what your business focus is, for me, medicare is still my bread and butter but I processed about 150 ACA enrollments last year. This year will be much less due to the shortened timeframe and less confusion in the market.

Probably referring to their complete team, I have an admin person who sets all my appts and tracks each application. I have the capability to process far more enrollments because I am an agent and have second person solely as a CSR and admin.

My wife definitely limits the number of apps I can process, no 18 hour days for me ;)

200/year might have been normal. Matching that production in 90 days is doable, but quite the crunch.

Depending where you are and the carriers you deal with, that can still mean 50-80% less income than it did pre-ACA. You're looking at 400-1000 apps in 90 days to match what you'd earn writing 200/year just a short while ago. Of course, they all take longer to write, and renew, than they used to.

Here in NY, for 2014, 200 individuals written with UHC/GR/Oxford is a whopping $12,000/year, pre-tax. That's a lot of work/training/licensing for less than minimum wage McDonalds employees make.

Last edited:
Here in NY, for 2014, 200 individuals written with UHC/GR/Oxford is a whopping $12,000/year, pre-tax. That's a lot of work/training/licensing for less than minimum wage McDonalds employees make.

RayNY,
I would quit if that were my compensation for 200 individuals. Someone could make at least 2x more with med supps...
R

I'm here in TX and writing 200 apps my first year is what I'm aiming for- between med supps and health policies I'm thinking an average of $20/ month (at least) per app would put me where I need to be at year's end. Sounds like it's a lot tougher in NY, and that's my home state!

Back