Hsa

mkim1969

Expert
I spoke to an agent that said he was contacting small businesses and having them drop their employee insurance plans then he would set up an hsa for each employee and sign them up for individual plans and that the government was paying most of the premiums by making the deposits into the hsa's. Apparently it's the bronze or silver plan. Is this possible?

I spoke to an agent that said he was contacting small businesses and having them drop their employee insurance plans then he would set up an hsa for each employee and sign them up for individual plans and that the government was paying most of the premiums by making the deposits into the hsa's. Apparently it's the bronze or silver plan. Is this possible?

You sure he isn't doing an HRA?

I think he's being as liberal with the language as he can be. The government isn't making deposits for anybody. The government is allowing deposits to be on a tax free basis. Tax free if you set the money aside and then use for claims.

So you could make that claim, but kinda stretching it a bit.

Most likely the agent is referring to the idea of an employer giving money to employees (taxable) and then the employee contributes that money into an HSA account (tax deductible) after purchasing an IFP that is an HSA qualified QHDHP, which might have been purchased with subsidies.

Not even remotely possible.

Back