HHS Marketplace / Exchange Stakeholder Conf Call

Yagents

Guru
5000 Post Club
Arizona
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Centers of Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is inviting you to the National Health Insurance Marketplace Stakeholder Conference Call on Monday, March 18, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET.

HHS is deeply committed to public participation as it builds a new Health Insurance Marketplace in several states. Through an ongoing stakeholder consultation process, we have sought input from a wide-range of interested stakeholders, including states, issuers, and consumers in State Partnership Marketplace and Federally-facilitated Marketplace states.

The goal of this national call is to keep stakeholders updated on the operational execution of the Marketplace as well as for CMS to hear directly from individuals and organizations that will be able to utilize the new Marketplace. This process will allow interested parties to understand how the Marketplace will work and when it will be ready.

This national call will kick-off the next phase of our stakeholder engagement to be followed by quarterly calls held by the CMS regional offices throughout 2013. CMS will use the information and feedback provided in the stakeholder consultation process in the development of the Marketplace.

The call will feature CMS senior officialsfollowedby time for Q&A. Speakers are:
· Gary Cohen, Deputy Administrator and Director, Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight;
· Cindy Mann, Deputy Administrator and Director, Center for Medicaid and CHIP Services; and
· Julie Bataille, Director, Office of Communications.

Important logistical and background information:
· Registration: If you are interested in participating in this national call and to receive the call-in details, please register though this link: National Health Insurance Marketplace Stakeholder Conference... - Eventbrite
· State-by-state calls: More information will soon be available on the state-by-state calls on the “Open Door Forum” webpage
· Other ways of staying engaged: The CMS Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight website includes links to other ways that stakeholders can be engaged in addition to these sessions. Healthcare.gov is where consumers will be able to check if they are eligible to buy insurance from qualified private health plans and eligible for financial assistance – all in one place, with a single application. Links to all of our regulations, guidance, and other information can be found here: Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight | cciio.cms.gov and Health Insurance Marketplace home | Marketplace.CMS.Gov
· Questions? Please contact [email protected]

You are a valued stakeholder and we look forward to your participation.

Sincerely,
--Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Office of Public Engagement

Nothing like an 50 min commercial. What a joke. No details. Nothing we didn't already know.

Started 5 min late, Cut off early, must be sequestration related

Last edited:
Whaddya mean no information worth sitting through the call?

Q&A was 20 questions long but here were some meant for us:
1. When will you issue guidance, rules & regs for brokers and agents: Answer - later.
2. How will agents and brokers be paid? Answer - we expect the issuers (insurance companies) to do that
3. If April 30th is the deadline for insurance companies to send their QEHB's for approval, when will you release those so we know which insurance companies are participating in the Exchange/Marketplace? Answer - September.
4. How can we actually see those plans? Answer - go to healthcare.gov, put in your state, and those plans will appear when they are ready.

Seems like we are not much of a priority. Or perhaps, they expect us to be a "porcupine in their back pocket" (that's for you, Tater), so they are procrastinating on dealing with us. I did note that they said they are looking forward to working with agents, especially in the SHOP exchange for businesses. Yeah, no kidding, how else will they get enrollment there? Will businesses use Navigators?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gary Cohen of CCIIO very quickly ran through a timeline of "milestones", and as best as I could scribble that quickly, here is what I wrote down:

February - most rules were finalized
March 28 - April 30 - Insurances must submit plans & rates for approval
Spring - application will be finalized
June - call center will be launched
July - train consumer assisters, app counselors, Navigators, AGENTS AND BROKERS
August - Web portal loaded & tested
October - Open enrollment begins

They also said that timeline of milestones will be listed under the partners tab of their website under "training" or "resources" at http://marketplace.cms.gov. I looked on that site, and I don't see it.

Last edited:
And a follow up email from them. I didn't see these stories listed:
  • Lil johnny can't get a child only policy because of Obamacare
  • Jack and Jill make $2 too much and now can't afford insurance under Obamacare, and will go bankrupt when their heart attack occurs next year.
  • Bob's company dropped their group plan and the he lost his employer contribution because of Obamacare
  • Janie finds out the insurance company and plan she loves, will be terminated on 12/31 and will not participate in the exchange
  • Billy is forced to buy an HMO, and can't get a second opinion on his bi-polar complex.
** These stories can only be found here, as the political party in charge is implementing the law, and the press have their eyes closed.

*** Of course I'm glad these people are helped, but it comes at the expense of other people
---------------------------------
In the past, too many parents had to worry about how they would pay the mortgage or the car payment if their sick children were dropped from insurance coverage. Victims of breast cancer worried about what would happen to them or their families if they reached a lifetime limit on coverage and no longer could afford treatment.

Because of the health care law, they can put these worries aside and know they are getting a better value for their premium dollars. Consumers can be confident that their insurance will protect them if they get sick and their families won’t be crushed by medical bills. Read More
As we observe the third anniversary of the health care law, here's what this means in real terms to many American families:​

Last edited:
As we observe the third anniversary of the health care law, here's what this means in real terms to many American families:

What major medical policy did Judy have, I wonder? I've never seen one with a lifetime limit as low as $2 million. What's the highest long-term chronic illness payout any of your clients have experienced? I have one who was up to $3.2 million after 7 years of ongoing stroke-related treatments.
-ac

Back