How Do I Get Off Marketplace Coverage Already!

The worst situation above is the person whose premium is $0. I don't know how you can ever let that lapse, LOL. Maybe you would have to refuse any advanced payment of the subsidies, and let it lapse that way.

The next worse situation posted above is the person who is on Medicare, not eligible for subsidies, and could get a surprise clawback at tax time.

It's the Hotel California, and you can never leave.....

I am in Connecticut and we have our own exchange, so this may not be the right answer for other states.

Simply not paying the premium results in the policy being cancelled eventually.

However they may be double covered for several months. This can result in problems for your clients. Here are two:

1. They can be forced to return the subsidy for the months that they didn't qualify for it. Most won't be eligible for a subsidy if they are offered employer-sponsored coverage. The same is true if they are are eligible for Medicare.
  2. If they need to get coverage in the future from the same carrier, they may need to pay the premiums owed before they can be approved for the new policy.

Cancelling a marketplace policy can be a pain, but you might get a phone call from an angry client a few months from now if you can't get it done one way or the other.

I go through the backdoor & actively terminate ALL of my clients who don't want their passive renewals (if that passive renewal still shows up in their govt account in LATE December)!

There are several insurance companies in Texas that DO keep balances ON their books. If you come back next year to buy a 2018 plan from them, and you owe them money, they WANT their past-due money.

I've even had people move to a NEW On-X company (actively) who still get bills in the mail (for months) from their old company for January's passive renewals.

And, there is NO guarantee that the insurance company will return the APTC to the govt, either! I had one case that took forever to get straight when the APTC was received for January, 2016 (in error).

Some of your clients may NEVER know that they are paying-BACK APTC money with their tax returns. It's all SO complicated for the average person.
But, others WILL. And, I don't want that liability in my lap.

The termination dates are still showing 12/31/17 (in ERROR) on the govt screens. But, we can't fix an inept program.

Just go through the back door of ANY Sherpa account that has a BLUE ACCESS button.
Then, do all of your terminations.
Use your BACK button to go BACK & search for the NEXT client's file.
Don't EVER "Return to Enrollment Partner Site"!!!!!!!!

When you've done all of the terminations that you want to do (in that sitting), you'll simply LOG OUT of the govt site.
Then, X OUT of that browser screen.
Then, clear your cache!

Repeat as often as you want...till you've checked all of your clients' govt accounts.
It takes a few minutes each, but it's worth it to me.
I even save screenshot copies of EACH one...for my own protection.

I'll be SO thrilled when this monster DIES.

I can see $0 premiums being a problem, but this is my first year being able to dish those out.

I guess I'm not having the problem as 99% of my ACA clients' policies terminated.

I tried cancelling a plan back door, got errors, had client call marketplace, got accused for fraud by HC.gov rep for trying to make commission on terminating a plan. Decided it was not worth the effort, and to just not pay the bill when client gets mapped to new plan, and are going to Medicare and/or Off market plan.

Active re-enrolls should not have this problem either, as there should not be duplicate apps.

Back