How to Handle the "Family Glitch Question"

An agent in our office enrolled a pt worker for the city in ACA subsidized coverage for 2014. She called mid year, agent no longer with us, telling me that she needs to get her kids on the plan, that now that she is full time they will lose Medicaid.

"But aren't you full time at the city?"

She affirms that she is. I ask about her dropping her coverage to go on the city plan and putting the kids on there. She says the cost for the city is more than what she is paying and they want $100's for the kids.

Despite me expaining that she is breaking the law, that she needs to cancel her coverage, and that her kids can't apply under her exchange plan, she persisted. I told her that I would not assist in that and asked her to call the marketplace.

In light of information, some people want what they want.

Yes, the above conversation was noted in her file for CYA reasons.

An agent in our office enrolled a pt worker for the city in ACA subsidized coverage for 2014. She called mid year, agent no longer with us, telling me that she needs to get her kids on the plan, that now that she is full time they will lose Medicaid.

"But aren't you full time at the city?"

She affirms that she is. I ask about her dropping her coverage to go on the city plan and putting the kids on there. She says the cost for the city is more than what she is paying and they want $100's for the kids.

Despite me expaining that she is breaking the law, that she needs to cancel her coverage, and that her kids can't apply under her exchange plan, she persisted. I told her that I would not assist in that and asked her to call the marketplace.

In light of information, some people want what they want.

Yes, the above conversation was noted in her file for CYA reasons.

I bet she didn't look at the family plan...just the individual covereages together.

Employe does not offer insurance for family

Willing or not, this glitch is a nightmare and aberration.
What if in a family of two, only husband works and is offered insurance, but his employer does not offer it for the rest of the family.
How do you handle this particular situation?

Did you not get certified?

If they don't offer the family option, the family can apply on or off exchange and are eligible for subsidized insurance.

and to tie on to GGordan..... federal statue requires the dependents to be covered... and in this case dependents relates to the kids... the right exist for the employer to exclude the spouse..... seems to me amenese does not understand the rules and law.... certified but not qualified? makes us look bad... there, is that "clean" enough language for you this time...

Back