How to Make ACA More Broker/agent Friendly?

TN_agent

Guru
100+ Post Club
If you were able to sit down with President or your Senator or the head of CMS or another person who can actually suggest policy changes (I know, I know, daydreaming here)...

How would you make on-exchange business and/or the ACA more friendly to brokers/agents?

Standardized commissions like MA business (no more 0% plans/changing mid-year/disappearing renewals)? Yea or nay?
No on-exchange carriers with only captive agents?
Make healthcare.gov interface for agents and brokers more like healthsherpa in that you could submit and track applications from there (but for free)?

Nix the navigators and application counselors?

Mimimum agent/broker compensation for Medicaid applications?

Letting kids out of the Medicaid/CHIP cesspool and still getting tax subsidies?

Letting anyone buy catastrophic by choice?

What do you all think?

It doesn't really matter what we think. The die is cast. You either play the hand that is dealt or move on to another market.

Come on guys, humor me. Are you really saying if you got in front of somebody and they asked you how it could be improved from an agent/broker perspective, you would say "there is no way to improve it" and throw up your hands?

I think it is at least worth discussing.

OK, I'll bite.

1) Move OEP to 4/1 thru 6/15.

All policies utilize a 7/1 (contract year) date for deducts, OOPs, etc.

Utilize the previous years tax return. (They already have an appeal process in place for Part B premium dings if your income changes. They can use the same process here). If you file an extension, you are out of luck.

2) Require an NPN number on all policies. (Even if its carrier direct. Navigators can have one, too. Whoever.)

3) Remove broker commissions from the MLR

If you were able to sit down with President or your Senator or the head of CMS or another person who can actually suggest policy changes (I know, I know, daydreaming here)...

How would you make on-exchange business and/or the ACA more friendly to brokers/agents?

Standardized commissions like MA business (no more 0% plans/changing mid-year/disappearing renewals)? Yea or nay?
No on-exchange carriers with only captive agents?
Make healthcare.gov interface for agents and brokers more like healthsherpa in that you could submit and track applications from there (but for free)?

Nix the navigators and application counselors?

Mimimum agent/broker compensation for Medicaid applications?

Letting kids out of the Medicaid/CHIP cesspool and still getting tax subsidies?

Letting anyone buy catastrophic by choice?

What do you all think?

I agree with the other posts pointing out that this is useless. But from another perspective, you should keep in mind that the carrier side of the business does not want brokers involved either. As a whole, the carrier side sees agents brining very little to no value while adding an expense.

Back