HSAs and HMOs?

Dave020

Super Moderator
California
On a recent thread we were discussing plan possibilities outside of the federal/state exchanges and HSA plans are likely only going to be sold outside of the subsidized exchanges.

For some time I have thought this might also be the case with HMO plans since the prototype for the exchanges seems to fit a pre-determined PPO model.

CA MRMIB is setting up the federal risk pool to open in September (target) and in the documentation they specifically state that they will use a PPO model for the risk pool in compliance with PPACA guidelines (also HHS guidelines) at several different deductible levels (all $1500 or less).

So, I am guessing (like we all are) that perhaps both HSA-compatible PPO plans AND HMO plans may be the "outside of the exchange" plans.

I welcome any input.

You could be right.

You could be wrong.

Since DC has given almost no thought to how these things will play out, even if you are right for now there is no guarantee you will continue to be right

If you ask agents what happens on 9/23 they will tell you all children under 18 can get health insurance regardless of px conditions.

No, they can't.

If the carrier approves them they will have coverage for px conditions but at least for now the carriers are not required to issue coverage to every child.

From my conversations with multiple carriers I think there will be a market outside of the exchange.

Keep meaning to ask. Have you just recently retired (USAF) or has it always been that way?

Either way, thank you for your service!

Officially retired from the Air Force Reserve as of last Thursday. Will be processing my retirement paperwork over the next few weeks. Reserve retirement, pension starts at age 60.

So that's what? Another 10 yrs before you can collect?
Yes, 9 years to start collecting. Active duty is an instant retirement at 50% base pay. Reserves is age 60 and based on a more complex calculation but generally works out to be about 1/4 to 1/3 of base pay.

Back