Humana Accepting STM Expiration As QLE

benwrigh

Guru
100+ Post Club
I spoke to my Hunana rep and I was told that are accepting a short term plan expiring as a loss of coverage. The rep said you could sell someone a short term plan for a month and use that expiration as a way to enroll in a major med plan. Anyone else hear anything about this? I am in Indiana, Humana is off exchange only here.

Didn't AC (Allen from Chicago) post something about a FBN organization offering to sell you a 30 day STM and then write a real major med when that expires?

Don't suppose the rep gave that to you in writing . . .

Of course not... And their SEP guide says the opposite, loss of coverage must have been minimum essential.

Thought I'd see what others were hearing.

Somarco, I'm guessing you're referencing the US Health Group post: http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...question-about-aca-ushealth-group-t64511.html , but the issue there, as was pointed out many times, is that its STM>Indemnity, not STM>ACA compliant major medical. You're still getting a penalty, and no subsidy.

Explicitly, termination of non-compliant coverage (like an stm or indemnity product), or "at-fault" termination of any coverage, is not a Qualifying Event according to the law.

If a real company like Humana or Cigna is doing this, I'm sure they have it in writing somewhere...

Called my rep. She left msg earlier saying this info (STM expiring is qualifying even) is partially true. We are playing phone tag. Doubt I will get anything in writing about this but will relay what I hear when I hear.

Speaking of Humana............with a lower reinsurance pool of money in 15', expect them to make up the risk somewhere else..........ie..premiums

Humana says expects 2015 exchange rate increases | Yahoo Health

(Reuters) - Managed care company Humana Inc. said on Wednesday it expects a percentage rise in the single-digits to the double-digits in the premium rates for 2015 individual health plans that comply with the national healthcare reform law.

Humana executives said during a conference call that those rate increases are partly due to the extension of some existing individual healthcare policies that are believed to have diverted some healthier people from the pool of new policy holders.

They also reflect a scheduled decline in 2015 risk-related payments to insurers who sell plans on the exchanges, Humana executives said.

Back