I Feel for my Off-exchange Clients who Will Be Hit on Their Renewal

Short Term Policy if no pre-x. Ive been forced into one.

Change you can believe in.....

I am too. If STM is good enough for my family this year, it's good enough for a number of clients. The lowest cost bronze for my family in my state is $1530, for a 47 yr old family of 4. STM = $400. I can make up to $225k and not pay the penalty. No Pre-ex. No Brainer.

Agents who refuse to write On Exchange business and then do the wrong thing for their clients for their own personal gain need to be gone.

What she said. Do what's best for your client. If they get a subsidy, and will take the HMO program, the agent should point to the exchange programs. If no subsidy, the agent should point to off-exchange products. If they won't pay those prices and will go uninsured instead, STM is better than uninsured. Group is better than them all.

But eliminating a whole segment is overkill. I do agree that all advisers should be discussing all options, or they shouldn't be advisers. But that goes for the FFM, too. If they won't tell people about off-exchange plans, or Group, then they are as negligible as the agent who won't tell people about the exchange.

I'll be stuck off exchange unless I can come up with a legitimate group. STM won't work. I've got a cluster headache ......

Sorry, wrong word (headache). "Cluster" is the 1st word of my descriptor for the exchange.

I'll be stuck off exchange unless I can come up with a legitimate group. STM won't work. I've got a cluster headache ......

Sorry, wrong word (headache). "Cluster" is the 1st word of my descriptor for the exchange.

Unfortunately, increases for small group keep creeping higher and higher.

Ive been in between trying to create a small group and staying on STM. No preX right now but obviously that can always change. Guess Im hoping that Trumpcare or Hilcare will save me before a preX hits :1err:

That's almost criminally negligent.

I got a call from a woman today. 62. Semi-retired, but doesn't need a lot of cash, because everything is paid for. Thinks this year her MAGI will be around $20K. She's paying $1300 for a low deductible plan with copays. Off Exchange. Plan is available On Exchange.

She's been Off Ex for 3 years. Same broker. Same income. She kept asking "why don't I get a subsidy?" and never got a straight answer from the current broker.

Agents who refuse to write On Exchange business and then do the wrong thing for their clients for their own personal gain need to be gone.

This doesn't make much sense. I thought off -exchange was paying the same? I guess the hassle of dealing with ACA is not worth it.

This doesn't make much sense. I thought off -exchange was paying the same? I guess the hassle of dealing with ACA is not worth it.

Off exchange has the same rates, but they are not eligible for a subsidy. The subsidy given by the exchange is what causes the "out of pocket" premium difference.

In KG's example, the client could have saved hundreds per month by going on exchange since she qualifies for a subsidy. Same premium, she just doesn't pay all of it when using the exchange.

I think this is a situation which will be affecting my wife. I don't understand much of the terminology I am seeing. What's a good thing to read to learn something about the meaning of things like On Exchange, Off Exchange, subsidy, etc.
Thanks.
LD

Im hoping that Trumpcare or Hilcare will save me before a preX hits

Whatever you are smoking, kindly share it with the rest of us.

giant-joint.jpg

Back