I'll Have a Health Plan with that Burrito, Please

Yes, because I always make my best decisions while standing in line to order at a fast-food/fast casual restaurant.

So that's the grand idea? Pester the sh*t out of you while you're out shopping?

Interesting strategy that CA has, fighting for enrollment next to the Girl Scouts who are selling their cookies.

Sounds like a flawless idea.

It blows me away that we continue to read these things that talk about "leveraging" existing resources, but never mention leveraging the existing agent force. We are an afterthought or santorum (google it as Jon stewart always says)

I am more than a bit inclined to believe that the market for the traditional health agent will be strictly outside of the health exchange.

I think the govt is worried about enrolling subsidy-eligible people in rural areas and inner cities where agents are not very active. I think the govt knows that mostly there will be very narrow network HMO/ACO type plans that are only attractive to those who need FREE premiums. I think they know the agent network is not solid in those categories, nor in rural and inner city markets.

For the population that is accustomed to buying health insurance from an agent, that trend will most likely hold, so long as the public is aware that agents can still sell insurance inside and outside the exchange.

Perhaps the 20-35 year old crowd will want to surf the net and trust what they see there, but the 35+ crowd will possibly do some surfing and choose a professional agent to guide them if/when they come across a website that informs them that the agent is available.

We need to get the word out that we are available, and not let the govt flood the media with notices about navigators, CAC's, and retail outlets. Where is NAHU on this? They can send out press releases that agents can sell in the exchange.

Looks to me the are going to have enrollments stations at pharmacies.

We need to get the word out that we are available, and not let the govt flood the media with notices about navigators, CAC's, and retail outlets. Where is NAHU on this? They can send out press releases that agents can sell in the exchange.

I agree with you that they are targeting the medicaid eligible folks, and agree with you about getting the word out on agents. I just sent the email below to NAHU:

To whom it may concern at NAHU,

[FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif]Thank you for fighting for the role of the agent. But as I read about how each state is handling the marketing partnerships with the exchanges (CA for example), each of them are bypassing the role of agents specifically, and instead focusing on navigators, CAC's, enrollment assisters, retail outlets like WalMart, etc. We realize we will be part of the exchanges, but we are in the midst of being "out-marketed" with billions that will be spent by HHS and the state grants.
[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif]I would encourage and hope that NAHU will be implementing a educational campaign in all states, notifying citizens in each, that an educated, licensed and insured agent is ALSO available to assist you with ON/OFF exchange plans[/FONT]
[FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif]Do you have any plans to do an marketing/advertising campaign to let everyone know that we are not going away?[/FONT]

I agree with you that they are targeting the medicaid eligible folks, and agree with you about getting the word out on agents. I just sent the email below to NAHU:

To whom it may concern at NAHU,

[FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif]Thank you for fighting for the role of the agent. But as I read about how each state is handling the marketing partnerships with the exchanges (CA for example), each of them are bypassing the role of agents specifically, and instead focusing on navigators, CAC's, enrollment assisters, retail outlets like WalMart, etc. We realize we will be part of the exchanges, but we are in the midst of being "out-marketed" with billions that will be spent by HHS and the state grants.
[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif]I would encourage and hope that NAHU will be implementing a educational campaign in all states, notifying citizens in each, that an educated, licensed and insured agent is ALSO available to assist you with ON/OFF exchange plans[/FONT]
[FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif]Do you have any plans to do an marketing/advertising campaign to let everyone know that we are not going away?[/FONT]

WE CAN ALWAYS COUNT ON YOU, BILL!!! THANKS!

I am more than a bit inclined to believe that the market for the traditional health agent will be strictly outside of the health exchange.

It will be.

Selling on the exchange is a dead end IMO. Should be plenty of opportunity off exchange and a lot less red tape.

For starters, no 21 page applications . . .

I think the govt is worried about enrolling subsidy-eligible people in rural areas and inner cities where agents are not very active.

And carriers even more so.

Poor risk. Hi loss ratio.

I think the govt knows that mostly there will be very narrow network HMO/ACO type plans that are only attractive to those who need FREE premiums.

You are giving the feds more credit than they deserve. They have no idea what carriers will do to minimize risk on exchange plans. Just look at their surprise at the number of carriers that just said no to child only plans after Shebullshits said the INTENT was to provide GI for kids even though the law didn't say that explicitly.

Last edited:
Back