Life Change/SEP Question

beachbum2012

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I've called healthcare.gov and I've talked to the HAP rep for ACA plans and have gotten 2 opposite answers to this question, so maybe y'all can help clear it up: If a husband and wife have a family ACA plan now, and the wife is aging into Medicare in July getting her own medsupp + PDP, does the husband have a SEP to choose a different plan thru the marketplace or does he have to stay with the one he's on now and not be able to switch til the fall AEP?

OK, going off memory here... I just had this happen.... first, who is primary? if the medicare person is primary there needs to be a new hc.gov app (according to ffm rep.... I tried to submit with a CIC and it went nowhere.)

next, I think this maneuver created an SEP since it was a new application. I guess not an sep since it was a new app.

there you go... new application and new plan

In that case, the husband does not have a QE, as far as I understand (in agreement with Yagents and Tater). Remove the wife, husband is stuck on that plan.

In the case of soon-to-be medicare eligibles, the first to become eligible should be primary so that when they drop coverage and obtain Medicare, the other has a QE due to no-fault loss of coverage and may re-apply as an indiv. If the first to gain eligibility is the dependent, that QE never happens.

Let's run through all 9 QE's defined by law:
-He has not lost coverage
-He has not gained a dependent
-He has not gained citizenship
-His enrollment wasn't due to error
-The carrier hasn't substantially violated a material provision of the contract
-Not newly eligible/ineligible for APTC/CSR
-Hasn't moved
-Isn't a native american
-Good luck proving "exceptional circumstance" to the exchange/HHS (although, technically, this one may work).

Last edited:
Just remove the wife via CIC

Does CIC mean "change in coverage"? I guess I'm not sure exactly what to do.

Should the original application be changed, or is it "Apply for new coverage"? How about "Report a life change"? Or is it easiest just to do a 3-way call with the client and Healthcare.gov to get her removed?

Latest posts

Back