McDonalds Threatens to End Health Care

Crabcake Johnny

Guru
5000 Post Club
Maryland
McDonalds Threatens to End Health Care for 30,000

McDonald's Corp. has notified federal regulators its health insurance plan for nearly 30,000 hourly restaurant workers isn't compatible with a new requirement of the U.S. health overhaul, The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday, raising speculation about the fate of those employees' health coverage.

FOXNews.com - Report: McDonald's May Drop Health Care Plan

Last edited:
McDonald's Corp. has notified federal regulators its health insurance plan for nearly 30,000 hourly restaurant workers isn't compatible with a new requirement of the U.S. health overhaul, The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday, raising speculation about the fate of those employees' health coverage.

FOXNews.com - Report: McDonald's May Drop Health Care Plan

We ain't seen nothing yet on health care. If this law remains in effect we will soon have nothing but government provided healthcare.

Can you possibly imagine McDonalds cancelling coverage for 30,000? IMHO - no COBRA since that's just the continuation of the group plan. I assume they'd have state options. Somarco?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
BTW, this isn't all McDonald's employees. I believe they have over 300,000 U.S. employees. This only affects some of the hourly workers who are currently on mini-meds.

Last edited:
Can you possibly imagine McDonalds cancelling coverage for $30,000? IMHO - no COBRA since that's just the continuation of the group plan. I assume they'd have state options. Somarco?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
BTW, this isn't all McDonald's employees. I believe they have over 300,000 U.S. employees. This only affects some of the hourly workers who are currently on mini-meds.
30,000 employees not $30,000
I imagine that these are corp. stores not indy owned.

McDonalds is running a Mini Med plan with a max benefit of $10,000 a year. I really don't consider that real insurance.

Here is the other thing. Mcdonalds is making money off of that plan.

This is good press for repealing.

Once one major household name does it, they will all start falling like dominoes.

It doesn't do much for US growth either.

If I am a CEO of an overseas organization why would I even think of entering the US market if I am forced to provide insurance for all employees or even pay a fine?

At least previously it was considered an "option" to offer benefits.

I wonder how much more Le Big Mac will cost once they are having to pay higher premiums for their employees.

McDonalds is running a Mini Med plan with a max benefit of $10,000 a year. I really don't consider that real insurance.

You beat me to it!

And that 10k plan is $32 a week.

What is real insurance? According to Maubama unlimited medical benefits. Can you image the cheers we'd hear from lawyers if liability insurance had an unlimited benefit as well?

What is real insurance? According to Maubama unlimited medical benefits. Can you image the cheers we'd hear from lawyers if liability insurance had an unlimited benefit as well?

If you have to ask what real insurance is then you are in the wrong business.

Back