Medicare Part A(new Eligibility??)

workerscomp1

Expert
Not a health or personal lines producer but just concerned about the lack of ideas I see about replacing Obamacare in Congress, in my office or on this Forum soooooooo just thinking......I had a commercial Business owner( non citizen) client turned 65 and bought into Medicare part A and now is very happy about it. Could Trump sign executive order and allow all ages and citizens to do the same?? CMS could determine eligibility and premiums based on reported income?? I want the new administration to succeed and fear there gonna tank if they get this wrong...just thinkin????

What you're describing is basically a single payer system.

Could it be done? Yea, sure, many countries have a NHS/single payer system.

Could it be an EO? I suppose so, but it's certainly something better handled by legislation.

Will it happen? Almost guaranteed not to. The GOP is historically against single payer, and a lot of the Dems are wary of it as well.

That said, states have the power to introduce their own single-payer style systems if they choose. Don't be surprised to see some states like CA or NY introduce bills to that effect.

What???-- I wasn't thinking single payer just addressing the fact that their appears to be no markets(companies) that can cover the Individual health market in a way that is acceptable to most Americans. Public Insurance happens all the time in the P&C world Surety bonds for municipal projects Flood insurance for coastal real estate on and on.........Many years ago I had Health agents calling me for referrals then less and less. I looked into it and found awful or no coverage for clients then bingo OBAMACARE!! I think a public option for a small%% of Americans is the way to go. Why not???

Roughly 100,000,000 Americans, nearly a third of our population (32.1%), is on Medicare or Medicaid already.

The obvious question is "where do you draw the line"? The obvious follow up is "how do you intend to pay for it"?

Finally, you have to answer "how the hell will you get those in charge to actually approve this when they're so clearly against it?"

Roughly 100,000,000 Americans, nearly a third of our population (32.1%), is on Medicare or Medicaid already.

The obvious question is "where do you draw the line"? The obvious follow up is "how do you intend to pay for it"?

It all comes out of the same pot... the pockets of US Citizens. Right now, and for our entire modern history as a country, we all pay for it collectively. The mechanism of payment, and how citizens are able to access care, is the only thing that differs between the past, present, and any choice we make in the future.

Im all for cutting out a huge chunk of the many layers that have developed in the system. Idgaff what they call it... Medicare for all, Medicaid for all, choice of gov or private, single payor, socialized, whatever... anyway we go about it american citizens collectively must pay for the cost of care.

Does it really matter if it comes out of our front pocket our out of our back pocket? Why not choose the easiest and most straightforward option?

Admittedly, I am out of my element and politics(ugh) but do we draw the line on self employed groups of 1 and two who can't get coverage(my state)?? I think post Obamacare that will not fly. How do we pay for it? Simple we sell treasury bonds that will come due many years from now ha ha. That does bring the central question of how we reduce the consumption of medical services and get costs in line comparable with other countries and BTW neither the right or left seems to want to go there!

Not a health or personal lines producer but just concerned about the lack of ideas I see about replacing Obamacare in Congress, in my office or on this Forum soooooooo just thinking......I had a commercial Business owner( non citizen) client turned 65 and bought into Medicare part A and now is very happy about it. Could Trump sign executive order and allow all ages and citizens to do the same?? CMS could determine eligibility and premiums based on reported income?? I want the new administration to succeed and fear there gonna tank if they get this wrong...just thinkin????

Allowing a buy-in for only Medicare part A would undoubtedly cause a macro cost shift that would have multiple negative consequences. Part A doesn't cover expensive treatments for things like outpatient chemo. So what happens when someone that needs outpatient chemo only has Part A coverage? They get admitted as an inpatient to receive chemo. This would cause a huge shortage of beds in hospitals and increase utilization/cost significantly.

Latest posts

Back