An MRI Costs $1,145 in America and $138 in Switzerland. But Medicare Could Change That.

An MRI costs $1,145 in America and $138 in Switzerland. But Medicare could change that. - Vox

Just saw this article Ezra Klein wrote, about capping payments similar to Medicare for the private health insurance market. He even acknowledges this could bring the system to single payor, has the potential...

Some examples from average pricing data reported by insurers in different countries:

1) A knee replacement costs $25,398 in America and $12,589 in the Netherlands.

2) A standard delivery costs $10,002 in America and $2,251 in Spain.

3) An MRI costs $1,145 in America and $138 in Switzerland.

So Skinner, Fisher, and Weinstein want to cap payments at 125 percent of what Medicare pays. This doesn't necessarily bring prices down so much as it brings the variation in prices down. This is a plan to help the people who end up getting truly gouged — it will mean an end, for instance, to uninsured patients being charged 300 percent of what Medicare pays for an appendectomy.

The health industry would freak out, of course, because once prices are capped at 125 percent of Medicare's rates, they know it's a small step to bring them down to 123 percent, or 117 percent, or 115 percent. The 125 percent plan would be a step towards All Payer Rate Setting — which is, more or less, a way of merging the savings of single-payer system with a lot of private insurers.

But that's a good thing. Either it'll force the health-care sector to get serious about setting up that hoped-for "more transparent system where consumers can choose easily based on reliable quality and price measures," or it'll show that that system isn't possible, and we should just do what every other industrialized country does and have the government set health-care prices.

Ezra is a freaking ***.

the uninsured are often charged the highest prices,

False.

Everyone is billed the same fee for the same service. The provider does not discriminate by charging higher fees for Medicare, traditional health insurance or no insurance.

But then he contradicts himself a few sentences later.

these prices are rarely, if ever, published, and often they're not even the actual price people pay

It doesn't matter what is billed, all that matters is how much is paid.

cap payments at 125 percent of what Medicare pays.

Which is reasonably close to what carriers pay par providers. So where is the savings?

It does not exist.

Providers rarely know how much Medicare will pay for a procedure. They have an idea, but they don't know if the claim will be approved and if so, how much.

If Ezra and his blogger buddies had real jobs and lived in the real world rather than in a pretend castle fashioned by throwing a blanket over mommy's card table their tired proposals might wash.

Truth is, they are clueless.

MUCH too much info left out to be a valid comparison..
1. Taxes are MUCH higher and little if any deductions
2. VAT taxes eat up additional income

Much more but that is a large reason why... Americans (typically liberals which want to make the U.S. like Europe do not seem to understand their comparisons are like comparing apples to lightbulbs.

Everyone is billed the same fee for the same service. The provider does not discriminate by charging higher fees for Medicare, traditional health insurance or no insurance.

Well I had an experience several years back that proves providers do have diff prices for same service. It was an MRI and BTW that 12oo figures is low.
I needed an mri and dr sends me to the Xray dept at another location. I ask them how much for the MRI and xray place quotes $1500...I said I have no insurance (true at time) and need to raise money to pay bill. How much for cash. She quotes around $500. I said I would come back after I got the cash. (never did).

I wonder how much a knee replacement costs in Switzerland and a delivery in Spain. It can be easy to cherry pick the cheapest costs in the world and benchmark them against a single system. I wonder why so many people come to the US for services when they are so cheap elsewgere...

There are many countries charging more than USA does for services. Don't be fooled by some of the crap that's being circulated. For example in Italy, Mexico, and Canada for an uninsured foreigner to have an accident and get nailed it's going to be a financial crisis and I seen some of the bills. Don't be fooled by old or false info that's out on the Internet. Being in the hospital in Cabo and an air ambulance back out of there could exceed $100,000 usd and that's not pesos. Same with Canada if somebody is not on the government plan and in a private facility their costs can exceed USA rates for a hospital stay for sure. Italy even more expensive.
A guy I know paid $35,000 USD for a coronary valve replacement in Thailand and it wasnt an emergency. That was negotiated before hand.

----------

Why people want to come here because the hospitals here have backup generators as big as semi trucks so that when the power goes out the operating room lights and air condition will stay on and the multi million dollar equip stays running and also quality blood banks are absent in many of the foreign countries as they rely on family members and friends to donate blood to help somebody needing surgery. there's not a lot of discussion about this.
In Panama they won't even take your blood to help your friends life saving surgery if you are over a certain age. Avg Life expectancy in Panama is like 70yrs.
If your 80 yrs you are a freak

I ask them how much for the MRI and xray place quotes $1500...I said I have no insurance (true at time) and need to raise money to pay bill. How much for cash. She quotes around $500. I said I would come back after I got the cash. (never did).

Had they generated a bill for a carrier or Medicare the $1500 price would have been the same. Bills are usually not generated internally but through a billing service. The service keys in the CPT code and a fee is generated then transmitted to the bill payer. They don't have separate fees for each carrier.

That they quoted you what they would be willing to accept for cash does not disprove my comment.

You don't have to believe me if you don't want to.

The solution referenced in his article is not new, we have been doing it for years. It is now being referred to as referenced based. We ususally start at 135% and work off of that depending on the clients appetite for risk. In the process right now of moving a group off of a CIGNA network to referenced based and we are expecting a significant amount of savings.

I like the spirit of debate. Do I think Ezra Klein is a tool? Yes, I often don't agree with his liberal views, aside from that I do think the threat of single payor will spur these carriers or politicians to make pricing more transparent and shoppable in an Amazon format that can link up with your health insurance.

Back