Multi-State Health Insurance Exchange Plans.

AllenChicago

Guru
5000 Post Club
I notice that a couple of quote engines list some "Multi-State" health plan options from Blue Cross. They cost more than the same BCBS plans that are not multi-state.

What are these plans supposed to accomplish and whom are they for? All I can find are a couple of generalized explanations..

U.S. Office of Personnel Management: Multi-State Plan Program and the Health Insurance Marketplace

Health Insurance News site: Multistate HIX Options Put Blues Plans All Over the Map - Insurance Networking News
ac

I was thinking it might have to do with an expanded PPO into another state vs their regional/state PPO(at least in TX)

I would also like to know if anyone knows what this is as I have noticed the same thing as Allen

I notice that a couple of quote engines list some "Multi-State" health plan options from Blue Cross. They cost more than the same BCBS plans that are not multi-state.

humana has a national ppo plan here in texas that includes out of state providers....when I asked because have client here thats wants transplant in az next year....said if it is in the national ppo then its in network....they said it was designed for kids on their parents plans that go to collage out of state.....

In Arkansas there is absolutely no difference in cost of benefits between the Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield plan and the multi state plan.

these multi state plans are the Obama plans

I thought the new CoOperative Health Insurance Companies were the Obama Administration's brain-child? Are you saying that these Mult-State plans are also recipients of U.S. Government seed money, even though they're owned by the various colored companies?
ac

I thought the new CoOperative Health Insurance Companies were the Obama Administration's brain-child? Are you saying that these Mult-State plans are also recipients of U.S. Government seed money, even though they're owned by the various colored companies?
ac

The provision for msp's was some sort of compromise on not having a public option as I recall. I believe we had a thread about it in here a few months back.

you all are correct and their premiums are as expensive as other options. I think I have sold 5 or so of them... might be more

TaterPeeler, What were the circumstances where you sold Multi-State plans? What was the applicant's profile where he/she needed to have one?
-Allen

My guess:
They were the best "buy" for a PPO plan (for that client).
HMO's are cheaper (than PPO's).
But, our HMO's have very limited networks (in many areas).

In SOME areas, our HMO's have some fairly-attractive hospital networks.

SOME people just want to ensure that their nearest (or favorite) hospital is IN the network.
They don't care if they have to change doctors.

Back