NC BCBS Reform Call

pbbaseball

Guru
100+ Post Club
Was just on the NC call, and they said they are keeping the commisions the same as they are now.... I asked two times by typing in, if the commissions were based on the full premiums or the unsubsidized, but they haven't answered so far.

ok, think they just answered... based on the gross premium... think i just decided what I'm gonna be selling and who the target market will be here

What is your commission structure now in NC? % or PMPM?
10% / 5% or 5% and 5%? or other variation?

It's gotta be on gross premium as tax credit refunds and clawbacks can occur in the following year when taxes are filed.

Just to clarify, "Gross" premium is the full monthly cost of the policy, which includes the subsidized amount. Correct?

Pmpm for group, and percentages depending on your contract tier for individual.

Yep, gross, before subsidies. They said they are going to pay commissions before they receive the federal reimbursements as well. Not sure if they are expecting reimbursements to come in after a few months instead of immediately.

Last edited:
And if the client makes more money during the year, subsidy goes down, and they would have to correct the commission amount.

Administratively impossible to not factor in full price of plan with subsidy

In the current environment where health insurers want and need to save as much money as possible, it would pleasantly surprise me if they paid commissions on the Gross premium, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread.

Can the Federally Run exchanges mandate that every company pay the same commission, to prevent the "steerage" that HHS continually denounces in it's rules.

In the current environment where health insurers want and need to save as much money as possible, it would pleasantly surprise me if they paid commissions on the Gross premium, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread.

Can the Federally Run exchanges mandate that every company pay the same commission, to prevent the "steerage" that HHS continually denounces in it's rules.
I don't know if they can do that, but I know carriers must pay the same inside and outside of the exchange.

Back