Nevada Third State to Receive MLR Waiver

I'm trying to find the article where several carriers already stated that comp would not go up even if the MLR rule was repealed.

Carriers with name brand recognition are doing well. The theory was agent's comp dropped and the carriers would be hurting. Not so.

During one call with a high level exec about 2 months ago, he stated that the number of people who need to obtain individual coverage does not change due to agent compensation. Because the number of people looking for health plans is a "fixed" number, those people are going to apply with or without a broker.

And he's right. If I "need" to buy an individual plan today in Maryland, and assume there are no brokers left in MD representing the individual market, am I not going to get a plan? I'm going to get a plan.

Last edited:
I believe comp would go up if the MLR was repealed. Back to where it was, probably not. But to make it attractive to sell, I think there will be incentives put into place which are better than the ones now or the ones (or lack of) those being predicted. At the same time, premiums would go up (I guess) so the comp would sort of almost equal out to what it used to be. I see a problem with people being able to afford health insurance and in that case, it won't matter what the comp is. Hard enough getting people to buy it when they can afford it.

I also have a hard time seeing them stay on the books for over two years out. Seems like a one time sale almost. I know of a lot of agents getting chargebacks it seems. It's a lot of work for a little money unless you are darn good at it and know how to work the system, I think it is a tough way to make a living but I know there are plenty of other things out there which I would rather not do.

Last edited:
I finally spoke to two people myself who know exactly what's going on.

Individual health compensation is not going up. Incentives will be tweaked at some point. In fact some very creative changes might be coming within 24-36 months. They will kill some and help others.

I finally spoke to two people myself who know exactly what's going on.

Individual health compensation is not going up. Incentives will be tweaked at some point. In fact some very creative changes might be coming within 24-36 months. They will kill some and help others.

So do you stay and play or bail? How do you stay a survivor and not become road kill? I am of the opinion that long term this isn't a career anymore no matter what happens. In the meantime:

Nearly 20 percent of new Obamacare waivers are gourmet restaurants, nightclubs, fancy hotels in Nancy Pelosi-

Just thought I would throw that in.

Back