News & Info Related To 2017 Open Enrollment

Guarantee OEP will be delayed until after elections, like they did last time. Guarantee all the rates and increases are hidden until then, like they did last time.

Guarantee 2017 brings one of the biggest rate increases across the board that this industry has ever seen. With the artificially low rates these past 2 years, big losses, and the ending of "three R" programs, we're finally going to see the true cost of the risk they're taking on.

Guarantee OEP will be delayed until after elections, like they did last time. Guarantee all the rates and increases are hidden until then, like they did last time.

Guarantee 2017 brings one of the biggest rate increases across the board that this industry has ever seen. With the artificially low rates these past 2 years, big losses, and the ending of "three R" programs, we're finally going to see the true cost of the risk they're taking on.

We'll also see who participates. What the network situation looks like. What kind of squirrely deductibles they come up with. There could be some voters remorse.

Now that's a funny statement (the statement in bold above). I know what you're saying, but rates have been anything but low the last two years. And if they do increase dramatically as most of us suspect, we will see a reduction in the number of people covered.

By the way, have any of you heard of any refunds due to coming in under the MLR?

I don't think we've had a Presidential election year Open Enrollment before. Delaying 2017 O.E. to November 15th - December 15th for a 1.1.2017 effective date? Maybe. IMO, 2017 Rates will be all over the news before then.

Allen, you're right, we haven't had a presidential, but we did have last-minute delays for the 2014 midterm elections that very clearly were just to hide the info until after polls closed. Don't see why it would be any different.

Sman, I'd be surprised to see MLR rebates. A lot of companies have >100% claims ratios, I haven't heard of any coming in under the MLR allowable percentage.

Allen, you're right, we haven't had a presidential, but we did have last-minute delays for the 2014 midterm elections that very clearly were just to hide the info until after polls closed. Don't see why it would be any different.

Sman, I'd be surprised to see MLR rebates. A lot of companies have >100% claims ratios, I haven't heard of any coming in under the MLR allowable percentage.

Yeah that was kind of a rhetorical question. I can't imagine any carrier coming in under these days. At least not on the indy business.

Ray, the 2015 Open Enrollment was indeed delayed (actually it was changed) until November 15th 2014, which was after the mid-term elections. But announcement of that date change came from HHS a year earlier...in October 2013.

Ref: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-open-enrollment-set-to-be-delayed-one-month/

As you recall, changing the Open Enrollment start date from October 15, 2014 to November 15, 2014 didn't help at all. Democrats lost a ton of elections all over the country.

Moving the start date of 2017 Open Enrollment until after the Presidential election, at this late date, would guarantee that a Republican President is elected. HHS Secretary Burwell is not a forward-thinking schemer like Sebelius was.

Well Ray and Kgbmom let's think about this just a little bit more shall we?

By having OEP going on during an election may boost the Dem's votes by people getting Health Insurance, this would be good for dems. People signing up for insurance might make them think "I got this because____"and "If I want to keep this I probably should vote for ____" Good for Dems.

By the dems concealing the premiums from the populace would give the Pubs the red meat they thirst for. It might make people be leery of dems and withhold from voting at all. Good for Pubs.

Also think about all these non-profit groups and their "assister's /navigators" this is the perfect time to pitch them on getting to the polls to vote. Good for Dems.

I say the show will go on as scheduled Nov 1, 2016 as planned.

1. Keep in mind, I want an 11/1 Start Date. (Actually, I want it to mirror Medicare and go 10/15 to 12/7, but no one has called me and asked me how to run this debacle)

2. ALL of the GOP nominees are running on "Repeal Obamacare". The only one talking "replace" is Jeb. (Which proves he's better politician, IMO)

3. NONE of the GOP nominees can win without Florida. I don't see how the Electoral math allows it.

4. Florida has a significant number of subsidy people. (1.5 million in 2015) Hillary will need ALL of them to show up at the polls, wanting their Obamacare money. "You want FREE? You vote for ME".

5. So Hillary calls her buddy Burwell and says "There's a special place in Hell for women that don't support other women. I need the rates to come out the day after election day"

That's my two cents.

And honestly, right now, I'm more worried about my 2016 policy clean up and 2017 commission levels.. We will deal with it when they decide

Latest posts

Back