Obama Warns Against Blaming Obamacare

Winter_123

Guru
5000 Post Club
What else can he do. Premiums are headed nowhere but up because costs are headed nowhere but up and Obamacare doesnt turn it around in any way, shape, or manner. He wants to flat out implement price controls (my view) but those don't work and he has to deal with the election coming up etc. And of course "price controls" for Obama (and Hillary and Pelosi) just means capping premiums but not touching docs and other providers. Whatever.

What a mess.

Obama to warn U.S. health insurers against rate jumps | Reuters

Obama is so over his head.

This is the worst bill in the history of our country.

It does nothing to address the cost of care.

Most health agents will be out of business in 2014.

The first thing we need is a ruling on MLR. If they can exclude our comp from the MLR we have a chance. If they don't we are done.

The first thing we need is a ruling on MLR. If they can exclude our comp from the MLR we have a chance. If they don't we are done.

I have to agree with Al on this one, if all you are worried about is your comp, then you are worrying about the wrong thing.

The real issue is, how are we going to pay for this. As posted elsewhere, Illinois is planning to spend about $392,000 a person to enroll 5,000 people into a high-risk pool. If you carry that cost forward to the 40 million that are uninsured, then you are looking at $16 trillion. That is more than the GDP.

The bigger issue is, how are we going to pay for it, and are we going to be a third world country before we realize this is a huge mistake.

The real issue is, how are we going to pay for this. As posted elsewhere, Illinois is planning to spend about $392,000 a person to enroll 5,000 people into a high-risk pool. If you carry that cost forward to the 40 million that are uninsured, then you are looking at $16 trillion. That is more than the GDP.

I'm hoping when you use enroll here you mean the total average cost to cover and not the cost to put someone in the high risk pool. Sorry I need to ask because I could see my state actually spending 400K per person to make sure they get onto Mainecare :)

You are totaly right about if our only concern is comp....I have a very different take on this in that being an Agent in Maine I don't sell health we are GI and almost no one buys IFP. Your cost points are right on...And lets not forget what Obamacare does to the states...Most of the 40 million new enrollees will be going on Medicaid and after the first 2 years the Federal Government will no longer pick up the states portion...My state is in a bad place as is let alone picking up more Mainecare enrollees...

Finally what drives me nuts was this started out a Healthcare reform to make sure people could afford access to healthcare. What we end up with is health insurance reform that does nothing to help people afford healthcare. What happens is the Federal Government subsidizes the cost to keep it low, Is this a good expenditure of our tax dollars?

Volagent are you serious?

I don't know how much health business you have but let's say Jan 1st your carriers say your comp is cut in half!
What are you going to do? Do you have any employees?
Will you have to let them go?

My main business is group health. At this point I am just trying to stay in the equation.

Tax increases is a topic I want to make it to. Right now I am just trying to stay in business.

If you have a real block of health business you would be worried as I am.

You are correct, by enroll I did mean put into the system and provide coverage.

I know that costs will come down some, but let's just cut it to $200,000 per person for that 40 million. It is still $8 trillion, and that doesn't address the millions that already have some form of insurance. If we are spending that kind of money on 40 million, the cost per person for the rest of society is only going to go up, not down. We will spend every dollar this country generates on health care at that rate. The sad thing is, our health will probably continue to deteriorate, not improve.

I don't know how much health business you have but let's say Jan 1st your carriers say your comp is cut in half!

My main business is group health. At this point I am just trying to stay in the equation.

Tax increases is a topic I want to make it to. Right now I am just trying to stay in business.

If the whole system collapses your comp won't matter a bit. 25% of bankrupt is still very much bankrupt. Plus you won't get any needed medical care.

I know this wasn't directed at me and as I mentioned I don't have an under 65 health block to be concerned about....But I am still concerned if they can do this to Health when will they set their sights on another line....I just left the 403(b) market due to huge changes their. I've been getting into the Med Supp market but have concerns there are well...I think being in the insurance industry for the next 30-40 years means I might be making a couple more changes before I retire.

I'm quite serious. Yes, health isn't important to my business. But second, if the country goes down the toliet because we can't afford to pay for this, who cares what I make?

You are kidding yourself if you believe health insurance is going to be viable for agents once all the reforms start taking place. Costs are going to spiral out of control and soon people won't be able to afford it, subsidy or no. Also, I think you seriously underestimate the pressures that people will face to enroll online through the exchange, and not through an agent.

I see you mention that group is important to your business. As I understand it, group hasn't changed much yet, correct?

Back