Obamacare and Math 101

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I had an online chat with a former client earlier today. She started by sending me a message advising me of a referral. I thanked her then asked if they were back in the market for coverage.

They had left me a few years ago when her husband got a job with benefits.

Two years ago she sent me a note to let me know they had started a new business and they were taking COBRA on the taxpayers dime.

OK, she didn't put it that way but they did get a 15 month ride courtesy of the taxpayers.

The last time she was a client neither her nor her husband were insurable, so I only wrote the kids. That was back when we could write child only plans.

Last summer she asked for, and got, a small group proposal for her, husband and kids. It was almost double the non-subsidized COBRA premium so they passed.

Fast forward to today.

I asked what she was doing for health insurance.

Her husband went in GA's version of the risk pool while she and the kids bought a Humana major med.

Really?

The same carrier that rejected you 4 years ago wrote a policy?

She didn't know the details. Her husband handled it direct with Humana.

She said it was a lot less than COBRA, had a $10,000 deductible and a drug discount card.

Discount card, not drug benefit?

Yes, we don't take that many medications so we didn't need a drug benefit.

OK . . . .

And not only that, we don't have to pay for physicals or immunizations. It's all free!

Not really free. It's in the premium.

No, it was free. Our premium is less than COBRA. The last time I took the kids for an exam we had a copay. With this plan it was free.

I opted to drop the discussion at that point. But I did mention Obamacare made insurance carriers pay for physicals. I also let her know premiums will go up later this year to cover the cost of contraceptives.

Wow! Free birth control pills?

No, not free. Added to the premium.

But you said they would be free.

No, I said the insurance company will pay for them and build it in to the premium

But they are free!

At that point I excused myself, saying I had to go. What I did not say was I had to go beat my head against a wall.

BTW, she is not blonde.

I hate people.

And there was some bit, I think George Carlin, who said "The more time I spend with people, the more I appreciate my dog."

Perfect description for life while working in the insurance business.

Back