Obamacare is a Success!

GreenSky

Guru
5000 Post Club
Henderson, NV
Well, maybe not a huge success. While the economy likely caused more uninsured, I don't think Obamacrap actually has solved the problem.

Gallup: Percentage of Uninsured Americans Higher Now Than in 2008 - See more at: Gallup: Percentage of Uninsured Americans Higher Now Than in 2008 | CNS News

(CNSNews.com) - Defenders of Obamacare will point to a new Gallup poll showing that the percentage of Americans without health insurance continues to fall -- to 15.9 percent so far in 2014, down from 17.1 percent in the fourth quarter of 2013. But compare the most recent percentages with those posted by Gallup in 2008, when 14.8 percent of Americans lacked health insurance coverage. -

It's all about a frame of reference. Supporters look at the improvement from our recent levels-and rightfully so. Detractors see it as comparing a bad result to the worst result we've had in recent history. Lesser of two evils isn't good.

IMO, no matter how you present it, a higher percentage and raw number of Americans are uninsured now than they were before BO took office. It's also higher than anything recorded for at least 20 years prior (and I'm sure that's conservative, but I only have data back to 1988, the first year the US census collected the data, see page 22: http://www.census.gov/prod/2009pubs/p60-236.pdf).

I wont be convinced ACA did anything for the uninsured rate until the rate of uninsured drops below where it's been for the past 20+ years. Until then, it's just a few bad years caused by a recession, followed by a normal decline back towards the same average we had before the law.

Edit: found data back to 1978. It's not census data, but it's from the CDC and NCHS so it's at least a reputable government source: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr017.pdf . No surprise, less people were uninsured the further you go back.)

Last edited:
a trillion dollars to insure a relatively small handful of new people. How much is that per person?

We also must keep in mind that 18% to 20% never pay their first premium. These are probably the young peeps and the uninsured that the Admin wants so badly. It's too bad the administration "doesn't track this particular data", according to HHS. Yeah.. right.

Last edited:
943k enrolled in march (below expectations), but labeled as 1 million in the article (I guess we round up in this law). If read between the lines, most people who are signing up are between 100-200% FPL, as they are signing up for the subsidized CSR 87-94% plans. 17% make too much money, and bought it for GI reasons. 55% are females.

ASPE

http://aspe.hhs.gov/health/reports/2014/MarketPlaceEnrollment/Mar2014/ib_2014mar_enrollment.pdf

HHS: 4.2 Million Marketplace Enrollments Through End Of February
The total includes 943,000 new people who signed up for an insurance plan via the marketplaces last month, said Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius Tuesday. The open enrollment period ends on March 31.
Nearly 1 Million More Sign Up For Obamacare Plans In February - Kaiser Health News

This is all bogus. I don't think the system works well enough to even give us accurate numbers. Plus, its only healthcare.gov numbers. How many people went straight to a carrier (since they weren't subsidy eligible) to get coverage? I'm small time...and I can give them 50 names.

They haven't done anything right so far, so we expect them to be able to produce an accurate report???

We don't know. And we aren't going to know if it solved the "uninsured" issue until 2016, when the penalty actually hurts.

Back