OK Folks Here is Our Chance to Be Heard. Lets Help Trump

I don't sell health insurance... or any insurance for that matter. I work in M&A which puts me in close contact with the benefits industry, health insurance being one of those benefits.

I would think that NAHU would tell your story and (will) should have a seat at the table.

https://www.nahu.org/

However, from what I hear, they threw you men and woman under the bus the last time around. I don't know the full story.

When I've had contact with NAHU (to get info) they were always helpful. Maybe they will be more responsive to you this time? Worth a try?

I don't see anyone else out there who is (or would be) interested in advocating an agent POV. Lots of good ideas here that should be considered by those who are going to write the new legislation.

Sorry to inform you but NAHU had done ABSOLUTELY nothing to merit a seat at the table with Trump

----------

1. This is absurd and no one supports this

2. Maternity is not optional. I was burned by this nonsense 3 times and it was and is discrimination againat women

3. mental is medical

4. rx benefits optional tell me you are joking

5. high risk pools for terrible overpriced coverage?

6. lifetime max maybe... it does very little to rates

7. agreed

8. agreed[/QUOTE

Well since you have all the answers , let's hear them.

"30 - Total transparency of medical prices. Abolish networks like they are "price fixing" offenses. With networks abolished, the providers have no choice but to make their prices transparent, because the market demands it. Full transparency for pharmaceuticals required. When your doctor writes a prescription, the pharmacy should tell you the cost, the generics' cost, and alternatives. Full disclosure will put pressure on the pharmaceuticals."

When there is no provider network (which I agree is a good idea), there is also less need for the agents.:laugh:

When there is no provider network (which I agree is a good idea), there is also less need for the agents.

How so?

FWIW, when networks are abolished consumer caps on OOP vanish. Is that really what you, and the consumer, wants?

When a product is simplified, it becomes easier for consumers to shop for themselves, and for outfits like ehealth to sell them online.

Sam816 : I disagree...Medicare Supplements dont have networks and people are still confused.

When a product is simplified, it becomes easier for consumers to shop for themselves, and for outfits like ehealth to sell them online.

Even President Obama admitted that shopping for health insurance is not as simple as using kayak.com for an airline ticket. Networks are far from the only confusing issue!

The ACA was confusing, and what did "confusing" do for agents anyway? It takes us a lot more time per client, but not more money. The loss of "confusing" regarding networks should be celebrated by agents. No more looking up doctors, or explaining in/out of network, PCP referrals, etc. I don't know an agent that loves those things! Then we can focus on the other myriad of issues that people seek an agent's guidance over. Metal tiers should have "made it easier". It didn't. Mandated benefits should have "made it easier". It didn't. Insurance is complicated, and fitting an insurance choice to a client's situation takes skill. I don't know about you, but I have zero fear over losing networks.

If you want transparency, offer plans that don't have networks. Go have fun with that.

That works perfectly fine for many dental and vision plans. I love my reimbursement dental plan. With the proper regulatory structure networks could be a thing of the past.

Took my kid to the doctor on Monday. She is on a HD plan that is about to renew and is not going to hit the deductible.

BCBS network price for office visit & strep test was going to be around $200.
Cash price (which the urgent care center had listed in the "self pay" section of their website) was $125. And that included up to 2 labs.
I was paying cash either way.... so obviously I chose to have them run it as self pay.

I realize that for more complicated situations that type of transparency is not always possible. But for the majority of office visits it is 100% possible. HD plans paired with price transparency for basic office visits & rx would go a heck of a long way towards lowering costs.

Roughly 70% of the population, not covered by govt plans, get health insurance through their employer. How will eliminating group health insurance be better?

As someone who still does some group health. I am in full favor of eliminating it. I could write a whole page worth of reasons why.

- The administrative burden/expense has become huge... along with the quickly rising premium costs.

- It hinders competitiveness by making it more complicated for a person to change jobs. (or even make it financially impossible for them to change if they have an ongoing condition and cant afford cobra premiums)

- It takes away good risks from the rest of the risk pool. (screwing responsible people who work for themselves or a very small business)

- It blinds the majority of Americans to the true cost of health insurance and how expensive our medical system has become. (most employees believe they pay the majority or even all of their premiums)

Side bar on birth control. Low income and minorities don't care if it is free. They won't use it. Just ask social services.

That is completely inaccurate. Aside from some other underlying factors of why certain women within the social service system might not have wanted to be on birth control... this is why you are dead wrong:

When young, I knew a few women who tried to get birth control from the health department. It took them over 5 hours of waiting to be seen... then they do a full physical along with gyno exam... then they were told they had to come back a different day (but within 3 days of the original appointment) to be seen for a second appointment, and then at the end of that 2nd appointment they would get the prescription.

So a low income woman who works an hourly job... has to take off 2 full days from work and go through an extremely invasive test... just to get her "free" birth control.

That "free" birth control actually cost the woman a couple hundred dollars because of missed work... assuming her job was actually willing to give her 2 full days off of work over a 4 day period. :1err:

It would actually be cheaper for the low income woman to pay $125 to see the doctor, and then $25 for the prescription. She would save around $50.

Last edited:
Back