PBM (Pharmacy Benefit Managers) the Bane of Healthcare

I use GoodRx as well.

Last yr went to fill Clobetasol. Only fill every 18 months or so. Last time (2014?) it was less than $20. This time it was $92 with my drug card.

Checked GoodRx. Price was $43@ CVS (where my prescription was) and $27 at Target (before CVS took over their pharmacy).

I recommend GoodRx as well.
Used it last year on a $190 retail prescription. Network price was $95. GoodRx was $45 at my normal pharmacy, $40 if I wanted to use a different one.

Just got off the phone with my brother the pharmacist. Without going too much into this, I want to transcribe my notes of the conversations, he said PBM's are evil and massively skewing the prices and availability of drugs.

He told me how companies that sound like Malgreens etc. get end of the year rebates etc., and that he will often match Malgreeens (he works for a regional grocery store) to keep them in house.

But before he does that, he will often go to the website GoodRx himself and check prices for people, because many people get it wrong typing in the correct names etc. of the drugs. He will tell people it won't apply to their deductible, some want it, most don't and would rather get the GoodRx price.

He also says some chains like Malgreens and CVZ have their own discount card programs that aren't as cheap, and will try to discourage seniors from using other discount card programs like GoodRx.

He even said some states are talking about outlawing PBM's in general, which is great. He said once Trump starts negotiating drug prices, it will affect the profitability of all major drug store chains, hours cut, employees laid off, profits fallen - but he doesn't care because he knows in order to treat the burgeoning number of baby boomers, something has to change.

I will go back through the recording to see if I missed anything to add here.

My pharmacist recommended drug card communitycaresrx.com over the goodrx.com

Why? Consumer pays less and the pharmacist is charged less.

Oh great. Another place to check. :)

I just did 10 drugs.

7 were within $1

2 were more at Community

1 was more at Good RX

Walgreens and CVS were not listed at Community.

Also, as to the pharmacists refusing to use GoodRX, they can pretty much do whatever they want. Use a grocery store. The pharmacists typically have more experience and fill less RX's than Walmart, CVS or Walgreens every day.

My pharmacist recommended drug card communitycaresrx.com over the goodrx.com

Why? Consumer pays less and the pharmacist is charged less.

Brother said he hasn't heard about that one, hopefully he can get back to me after some research. Thanks for weighing in Yagents!

----------

Oh great. Another place to check. :)

I just did 10 drugs.

7 were within $1

2 were more at Community

1 was more at Good RX

Walgreens and CVS were not listed at Community.

Also, as to the pharmacists refusing to use GoodRX, they can pretty much do whatever they want. Use a grocery store. The pharmacists typically have more experience and fill less RX's than Walmart, CVS or Walgreens every day.

So use 2 discount cards is what you're telling me:biggrin:

It was a Safeway pharmacist whom we visited. 3 meds for wisdom teeth, all were cheaper at CCRX.

She knows her stuff, and came armed with alternatives. It was better for her and me. Pharmacists, like agents, are educators in the system.

It was a Safeway pharmacist whom we visited. 3 meds for wisdom teeth, all were cheaper at CCRX.

She knows her stuff, and came armed with alternatives. It was better for her and me. Pharmacists, like agents, are educators in the system.

I completely agree. I went to pick up meds yesterday and the pharmacist stopped working to come chat with me about this and that. Their current concern is that HQ is doing mass pricing changes every 6 weeks and they are seeing huge shifts between January/Feb fills and March fills for the same drug, same insurance.

pharmacists refusing to use GoodRX, they can pretty much do whatever they want.

Yes they can.

Tools like GoodRx give the customer the upper hand. If pharmacy A won't accept the card and give the discount, you have the app with pricing, store name and distance. If the savings is great enough tell them if they don't want your business pharmacy B does.

Back