Public Health Care Option

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
There is a lot of buzz about a public option for health insurance as part of the promised reform of health care. Lots of rhetoric, not much substance. But here are some things they won't tell you.

One of the public options is "Medicare for all." Ted Kennedy has pushed this for some time. If Medicare is expanded, the initial talk is making it available to those age 50 - 64.

Medicare is a decent plan as long as you can find a doctor willing to treat you. On average, half of doctors refuse to accept Medicare patients. Those that do accept Medicare patients will limit those patients to less than 20% of their patient load. Most would like to keep it less than 10%.

If Medicare is expanded to cover those between the ages of 50 & 64 don't expect more docs to jump on the bandwagon and accept you with open arms. n fact, the opposite will happen.

If you have a regular doc now, he may refuse to treat you once you go on Medicare.

Another public option is to expand the role of Medicaid. According to the Kaiser Foundation, two thirds of the uninsured 46 million (or whatever number you want to use) earn less than 200% of the FPL (federal poverty level). If Medicaid is expanded from the current qualification to 200% you can almost immediately reduce the number of uninsureds to about 15,000,000 or roughly 6% of the population.

That is a much more manageable level and won't take anywhere near the trillion or so dollars of our money the politicians want to spend.

But access to health care will still be an issue because even fewer docs are willing to accept Medicaid patients than Medicare. Given the choice, they will treat Medicare patients before Medicaid.

And try and find a dentist willing to treat you if you have Medicaid or SCHIP (PeachCare).

Fewer than 20% of dentists in GA accept Medicaid or SCHIP patients.

Regardless of how the public option is structured there is one thing you can be sure of. It won't look like any of the literally hundreds of plans available under the FEHBP.

Employees of the federal govt and members of Congress have dozens of plans to pick from and they vary by state or region. There are 22 plans for federal workers in Georgia. Plan 10 from Blue Cross has a 135 page brochure outlining the benefits.

If you decided to compare all 22 plans that means downloading and trying to review and compare almost 3,000 pages of benefit descriptions.

Actually, the rates aren't so bad for plan 10.

Single rates are $489 per month while a family would pay $1120.

At least with this kind of plan you would have access to docs & hospitals in the Blue Cross network.

There are roughly 9 million participants in the various FEHBP's. Expanding coverage to even just double the number of currently insured could not happen overnight.

So the most likely result for a public option is expanding Medicare or Medicaid.

Last edited:
There are roughly 9 million participants in the various FEHBP's. Expanding coverage to even just double the number of currently insured could not happen overnight.

True enough.... Doctors would have to see patients after playing golf on Wednesday's, meaning it probably won't happen. Of course, they will always continue to take Thursdays off, errr, I mean as a day of study and self improvement.

Dan

Obama and the reformers are getting a lot of mileage out of the term "cherry-picking." It is actually working out pretty well for them- as in "insurers will not be allowed to cherry-pick who they will insure."

Version 3.0 of the No Cherry-Picking Manifesto will include physicians- as in "physicians will not be allowed to cherry-pick patients based on their insurance, medicare, medicaid, etc.

More and more med students will graduate as indentured serfs who owe years to government programs in return for government loans. This will also be true of the hoards of foreign medical workers we bring in as the Brits are doing now. Then, even if they went into private practice, their reimbursement system will consist of government regulated programs and their patient load will be what the government tells them they must accept. Not surprisingly, many/most will just decide that they want to take a job as a salaried physician down at the government clinic. And thus we will end out with a national health service with the illusion that it is in the private sector.

Change you believe in.

Last edited:
My dentist said there is a discussion of a tax levied against medical practitioners who refuse to accept M/M patients. If that happens, it may just push him into retirement much quicker.

Which illustrates that Obama and Congress can do what they want but you can't force the private sector to follow.

Don't know why this has to be hard. Mandate that all carriers must offer a GI plan(s) that conforms to a set of minimum benefits - almost like how supps are controlled.

Set the rates to be 25% to 50% higher than underwritten plans (which rewards healthy people) - expand Medicaid to even include 300% of FLP with anyone between 200% to 300% paying a portion of their premium and call it a day.

If we can't get that accomplished at least mandate that every state have a risk pool and the gov't can offset the costs. Much cheaper than 1 trillion.

The carriers certainly don't seem to be worried. Go submit an app where someone has eczema 6 years ago and they're still treating it like terminal brain cancer.

Last edited:
My dentist said there is a discussion of a tax levied against medical practitioners who refuse to accept M/M patients. If that happens, it may just push him into retirement much quicker.

Indeed.

Unfortunately many physicians will deal with having to take certain plans by simply "aggressively" billing/bilking the plans. Even more than they are already doing. Not good.

Great post

I think you might be right on. We have yet to see any back end information on how health insurance exchanges. This leads me to believe they are are going to expand on one of the existing Gov.programs.

Right now the talk is they are going reduce reimbursement
rates to providers on Medicaid and Medicare by 21%.
The quality of care will go done initially.

On the other side they have to reduce the reimbursement or there will be no medicare in 2017.

This so called 45 million uninsured its estimated that 15 million are the ones that truly need help.

I am in favor of a GI type policy and then tax credits on the premium that people can't afford it.

We have a lot of "2 new cars in the driveway" people who are uninsured by choice. Unless there's a mandate it'll end up being a pool of sick people which is unsustainable.

If auto insurance was not mandatory anyone want to take a guess on the percentage of people who would cancel?

Great post

I think you might be right on. We have yet to see any back end information on how health insurance exchanges. This leads me to believe they are are going to expand on one of the existing Gov.programs.

Right now the talk is they are going reduce reimbursement
rates to providers on Medicaid and Medicare by 21%.
The quality of care will go done initially.

On the other side they have to reduce the reimbursement or there will be no medicare in 2017.

This so called 45 million uninsured its estimated that 15 million are the ones that truly need help.

I am in favor of a GI type policy and then tax credits on the premium that people can't afford it.

Barry promised us a plan just like the feds get. Then folks start talking about what a great plan medicare is and maybe they will end out with medicare for all. All I want to know is if they go the medicare-for-all route, how big a medicare-for-all supplement do I have to buy to get me up to the same plan the feds have?

Change you can believe in.

Back