Question About ACA & USHEALTH GROUP

I don't think their "EHB" plan is an ACA compliant EHB plan. It's not offered on their website at all. No mention of bronze or metals.

No doubt about it, YAgents. Their Marketing Department has some very clever brochure writers on staff. They're using familiar terms from the Affordable Care Act that will trick consumers and many agents, but nowhere do they say, "This plan provides "minimum essential coverage" as defined by the Affordable Care Act." The fy2014 IRS form 1040 will ask if you have minimum essential coverage. If you say "yes" and then enter your U.S. Health policy number, an IRS audit will be in your future.

No doubt about it, YAgents. Their Marketing Department has some very clever brochure writers on staff. They're using familiar terms from the Affordable Care Act that will trick consumers and many agents, but nowhere do they say, "This plan provides "minimum essential coverage" as defined by the Affordable Care Act." The fy2014 IRS form 1040 will ask if you have minimum essential coverage. If you say "yes" and then enter your U.S. Health policy number, an IRS audit will be in your future.

The following is the link to healthcare.gov which lists ALL QHP. For state run marketplaces you can access the same info from that state department of insurance. If a company truly has a QHP, it would be listed on either their state list or the federal marketplace list, whichever is applicable.

You will go to https://data.healthcare.gov/dataset/QHP-Customer-Service-Phone-Numbers/vryg-tdzf[/url]

I'm not defending US Healthgroup one bit but they did file Metal Tier plans in Florida, I downloaded the filing from the Fl DOIR website (1470 pages).

Again, I don't know the rate structure (there isn't a table in the filing, just an overall formula with age and community ratings) and I doubt whether they ever give a consumer a real picture of what it would cost to convert but it seems like they have created a workaround the Open Enrollment period.

Commissions listed for the Metal plans were 5%, that probably means agents get something much lower and would create significant chargebacks in the event of someone converting.

----------

The following is the link to healthcare.gov which lists ALL QHP. For state run marketplaces you can access the same info from that state department of insurance. If a company truly has a QHP, it would be listed on either their state list or the federal marketplace list, whichever is applicable.

You will go to https://data.healthcare.gov/dataset/QHP-Customer-Service-Phone-Numbers/vryg-tdzf[/url]

This is a good tool but Off Exchange plans aren't listed on this site, I couldn't find anything from Assurant/Time.

FLM if UsHealth has only filed ACA compliant plans that means they arent available yet? How could anybody convert? This seems way shady.

FLM if UsHealth has only filed ACA compliant plans that means they arent available yet? How could anybody convert? This seems way shady.

I have no clue nor would I ever insure anyone with Freedom Life, a B- rated company.

The filing was done and approved in November, 2013, I would have to assume these plans are available if someone asks, I doubt any of their agents would sell one on their own.

Here is the link https://www.linkedin.com/nhome/upda...58379620352&start=0&count=10&paginationToken=

But this is post that stuck out"

Sam, be professional and know the accuracy of what you say publicly about another company; particularly what you think USHEALTH "can't" do and in your own words after a year long hiatus from seeing our plans. We are the only company in America who CAN, IS and WILL continue to provide major medical coverage among others without qualifying event limitations. I empathize with your frustrations over mandated restrictions, but we are simply unencumbered by ACA mandates and closed enrollment. You may CONFIRM this with the Illinois insurance commissioner who will undoubtedly know about your multiple false statements about USHA after I gave you and Robert the courtesy of a warning.

If this guy threatens to turn you into regulators, turn right around and threaten him for what he wrote you in that message.

Their company is NOT the only one in America who offers major medical coverage without qualifying event limitations. Here in Arizona, Meritus is offering year-round enrollment without qualifying events. Their plans are true ACA-compliant plan, too, but they can only do this off-exchange.

I believe I heard some carriers in California are doing the same (ask one of the CA agents on this board for confirmation).

Also, Nevada mandates year-round enrollment.

Last edited:
If this guy threatens to turn you into regulators, turn right around and threaten him for what he wrote you in that message.

Their company is NOT the only one in America who offers major medical coverage without qualifying event limitations. Here in Arizona, Meritus is offering year-round enrollment without qualifying events. Their plans are true ACA-compliant plan, too, but they can only do this off-exchange.

I believe I heard some carriers in California are doing the same (ask one of the CA agents on this board for confirmation).

Also, Nevada mandates year-round enrollment.

I am not aware of any such carriers in CA, but would be pleasantly surprised to be wrong.

Back