Quote Engines, Web Brokers, Subsidy Calculators

Ann H

Guru
5000 Post Club
Arizona
I use Quotit. I noticed today that they've revamped their system to allow fields prepared for calculating the subsidy, such as dependent's exact relationship, filing status, Household income, etc.

Quotit told me a few weeks ago they plan to quote plans on and off the exchange. I asked if they would be the web broker or if the agent needed to be the web broker, and they said the agent would, but that Quotit would provide the process (quoting, subsidy calc, interchange with exchange, and app submission) for brokers that want to be web brokers.

they said the agent would, but that Quotit would provide the process (quoting, subsidy calc, interchange with exchange, and app submission) for brokers that want to be web brokers.

Would they satisfy/provide the IT security requirements also in order to become a web broker? Most of it is personal info security req's, and would happen in the steps above (subsidy, exchange, app)

I feel clueless. I am in a Federal Exchange state. Do we have any idea if we will be able to sell plans in/out of the exchange and make a viable commission doing so?

Welcome to the clueless club. I still don't know what carriers we'll be able to sell, who will allow us to sell them (lots of new carriers), and what they will pay us. It makes for a great business plan (blank page)

I am also in a Federal Exchange state.

In July we are suppose to have more knowledge on who will be in the exchange.

There might only be 3 or 4 carriers and I think we will have narrow networks.

I use Quotit. Quotit told me a few weeks ago they plan to quote plans on and off the exchange. I asked if they would be the web broker or if the agent needed to be the web broker, and they said the agent would, but that Quotit would provide the process (quoting, subsidy calc, interchange with exchange, and app submission) for brokers that want to be web brokers.

Excerpt From page 60 of the CMS 6/14/2013 proposed rule: http://www.ofr.gov/OFRUpload/OFRData/2013-14540_PI.pdf
Main Rule Overview Page: http://www.cms.gov/CCIIO/Resources/Fact-Sheets-and-FAQs/pi-nprm-6-14-2013.html

"We are considering prohibiting such arrangements outright, in part because such entities are not a party
to the Web-broker’s agreement with HHS. However, we also want to make sure that agents and
brokers have many possible avenues to participate in the FFE. If we do not prohibit such
arrangements, we believe that a Web-broker should not be able to enter into these arrangements
unless the Web-broker ensures that the agent or broker using its connection to HHS agrees to
comply with the same FFE standards and requirements applicable to Web-brokers under
§155.220(c) and (d)."

CMS is saying that they don't want Web Brokers working with non-Web Brokers? That entire section of the proposed rule is confusing, yet interesting, at the same time.
-ac

Last edited:
Translated:
If we didn't need so many apps to make this thing work we wouldn't even consider it, so make sure you run a clean ship web-brokers.
;)

Back